"York" York by steventilly
York Travel Guide: 1,637 reviews and 4,012 photos
York is one of the finest cities in the UK. It combines a vast array of beautiful historic buildings with great shopping, eating, drinking and nightlife.
The jewel in Yorks crown is without doubt the magnificent Cathedral York Minster. This is one of the must see buildings on any tour of the UK.
The city is totally surrounded by it's ancient walls and in general the tourist will not need to leave this area. Most of the bars, restaurants, hotels, shops and attractions are within the city walls.
It was once claimed there were 365 pubs within the City of York. This may no longer be true, but there are certainly still an awful lot of pubs!
As well as being a beautiful and ancient city, York is also a major industrial and commercial centre, having not one but two of the UK's best known chocolate companies - Rowntree and Terry's, though these days both are owned by that mega chocolate making country, Switzerland.
York is such a fantastic place. We've been going there several times per year for over 20 years now, so we know the place inside out! There's so much to see and do both in and around York that you really need to spend a lot more than just one day there, though one day will give you a taste.
These pages cannot possibly show all York has to offer, otherwise they'd take over all of VT's server space! I hope this gives you a flavour, though.
- Pros:Buildings, History, Shopping, Pubs, Restaurants, Close to Home
- Cons:Not one.
- In a nutshell:Probably my favourite city in the UK
York has three out-of-town shopping sites catering for different aspects of shopping. Clifton Moor has DIY, electrical... more travel advice
See York Minster, without a doubt one of the finest cathedrals ever built. Be sure to walk all the way around it, both... more travel advice
- See All The Alice Hawthorne.
- See All 2 November 2000 - York is...
- See All Viking festival - each year in...
- See All A Ghost Walk around York!
Written May 10, 2002
Meeting Deanna, NorK & Aubrey
Written Jun 2, 2003
steventilly's Related Pages
York Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "York - potential capital of the north"
- "The Old Capital of the North"
- "York - a standout amongst the pretenders"
- "History and shopping."
- "YORK - 2000 YEARS OF HISTORY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in York
- Hotels in York
- Transportation in York
- Nightlife in York
- Restaurants in York
- Shopping in York
- Warnings and Dangers in York
- See All...
Badges & Stats in York
- 48 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 130 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to York?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in York
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 54 reviews, 231 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 58 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of the Cyclades Intro, 49 reviews, 203 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minorca Island Intro, 47 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 93 reviews, 139 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Intro, 91 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 62 reviews, 132 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 78 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 76 reviews, 79 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues