"La Gomera" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de la Gomera by steventilly

Isla de la Gomera Travel Guide: 151 reviews and 398 photos

The Scenic Isle

While we were in Tenerife this year we visited its near neighbour La Gomera. This is the closest other island to Tenerife and as such makes a suitable day-trip destination. I'd recommend a trip over to the island to anyone, so long as they are able to venture into the interior and see the scenic wonderland that awaits there.
I was really unprepared for what La Gomera would be like and I was stunned and amazed, and not to say extremely happy, at what I found. It's a place that I would visit again, and this time stay a while and explore more at my own leisure.
Tourism hasn't yet arrived in La Gomera in any huge way, and as such it's quiet and unspoiled. It still relies heavily on agriculture and projects a peaceful, relaxed air that is a million miles away from Playa De Las Americas and Los Christianos, just across the water. I can only hope it stays this way, and that such tourist devolopment that does come its way does not spoil the character of the island.

We did a coach tour around one section, roughly one third (the North and East) of La Gomera, a tour that lasted a full 8 hours. Naturally with a tour of this type, you never got long enough at each place to see it to its full, but you did get long enough to see what there is on offer. And as I said, this was only about one third of the island. One thing that struck me on this trip was that with so much driving on those torturously twisting roads, I was glad it was someone else who was driving. It left me free to look - on a self drive trip we'd have seen maybe a quarter of what we did, and would have spent much longer stopped at mitadors taking in the wonderous views.
Take a look at this small page of mine to see what La Gomera has to offer.

• Pros:Quiet And Unspoiled, Truly Beautiful Scenery
  • Cons:Non
  • In a nutshell:Go There, You Simply Must!
  • Last visit to Isla de la Gomera: Mar 2006
  • Intro Written Mar 29, 2006

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2008 at 4:08 AM

What a stunner!!! Amazing how the Canaries can be so different. Have you returned yet?

• kevanrijn's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2007 at 5:19 PM

What a beautiful and serene-appearing place! If I ever get back to the Canary Islands, this is one I'd like to see.

• metteks's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2006 at 7:34 AM

What a beautiful photo of the terraced Landscapes.

• zweiblumen's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2006 at 12:27 PM

Wonderful photos! I will be travelling to La Gomera and El Hierro this November for a fortnight's walking in the mountains. Looking forward to it!

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2006 at 12:22 PM

a wonderful page, I really enjoyed reading it we are going to spend a couple of days on Gomera when we return to Tenerife

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2006 at 5:47 PM

An absolutely fantastic page Steve! Wow, those terraced hillsides really do look amazing - it must have been quite a sight to see them so far below you! Loved those colourful wild flowers at the top too!

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2006 at 1:59 PM

terraces look great and spectacular sunset

steventilly

“... Dreaming Of Islands ...”

Badges & Stats in Isla de la Gomera

Have you been to Isla de la Gomera?

Latest Activity in Isla de la Gomera