"La Gomera" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de la Gomera by steventilly
Isla de la Gomera Travel Guide: 151 reviews and 398 photos
While we were in Tenerife this year we visited its near neighbour La Gomera. This is the closest other island to Tenerife and as such makes a suitable day-trip destination. I'd recommend a trip over to the island to anyone, so long as they are able to venture into the interior and see the scenic wonderland that awaits there.
I was really unprepared for what La Gomera would be like and I was stunned and amazed, and not to say extremely happy, at what I found. It's a place that I would visit again, and this time stay a while and explore more at my own leisure.
Tourism hasn't yet arrived in La Gomera in any huge way, and as such it's quiet and unspoiled. It still relies heavily on agriculture and projects a peaceful, relaxed air that is a million miles away from Playa De Las Americas and Los Christianos, just across the water. I can only hope it stays this way, and that such tourist devolopment that does come its way does not spoil the character of the island.
We did a coach tour around one section, roughly one third (the North and East) of La Gomera, a tour that lasted a full 8 hours. Naturally with a tour of this type, you never got long enough at each place to see it to its full, but you did get long enough to see what there is on offer. And as I said, this was only about one third of the island. One thing that struck me on this trip was that with so much driving on those torturously twisting roads, I was glad it was someone else who was driving. It left me free to look - on a self drive trip we'd have seen maybe a quarter of what we did, and would have spent much longer stopped at mitadors taking in the wonderous views.
Take a look at this small page of mine to see what La Gomera has to offer.
- Pros:Quiet And Unspoiled, Truly Beautiful Scenery
- In a nutshell:Go There, You Simply Must!
Watching the sun go down over La Gomera from Tenerife is one of our favourite pastimes. We got an even better view as... more travel advice
The marina at San Sebastian is by no means huge, nor is it filled with the type of luxury yachts we're used to seeing in... more travel advice
steventilly's Related Pages
Isla de la Gomera Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "La Gomera"
- "La Gomera"
- " Island of Peaks & Valleys"
- "Walking away from the crowd"
- "Another Day in Another World"
- "ONE GREAT WEEKEND"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla de la Gomera
- Hotels in Isla de la Gomera
- Transportation in Isla de la Gomera
- Nightlife in Isla de la Gomera
- Restaurants in Isla de la Gomera
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla de la Gomera
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla de la Gomera
- 22 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Isla de la Gomera?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla de la Gomera
Photos in Isla de la GomeraSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 54 reviews, 231 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 58 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of the Cyclades Intro, 49 reviews, 203 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minorca Island Intro, 47 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 93 reviews, 139 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Intro, 91 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 62 reviews, 132 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 78 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 76 reviews, 79 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues