"Santa Cruz de Tenerife" Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Cruz de Tenerife by steventilly

Santa Cruz de Tenerife Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 214 photos

Santa Cruz is the capital and largest city of Tenerife. To be honest I was a little disappointed with the place at first, I think I expected a little too much of it in terms of architectural splendour and history. In fact much of Santa Cruz is a sprawling, modern city and all of the industry that you would associate with its status as the major seaport of the island.
You arrive on the TF1 motorway passing chemical works and oil refineries and pass through suburban areas that are being torn down and rebuilt, giving the impression of one big building site. You finally arrive at a bus station that is gleaming and modern and covered in glass and you wonder did you get this city all wrong.
After spending a few hours seeing the sights (what there are of them - see Santa Cruz page) we thought "well, we've seen it now, I doubt if I'd come back again". However by evening, when the city came alive with nightlife, and certainly throughout the next day our attitude changed. Santa Cruz is a place that I will certainly visit again as it does have a quite quiet charm all of its own, and it is most definitely Spanish, paying little regard to the tourist hordes.
The shops here are a class above those in Las Americas (though prices are higher too) and the restaurants & bars are a lot different too, ranging from outdoor terraces through large "colonial style" bars to hole-in-the-wall type of places. Food and drink is cheaper than Las Americas, quite substantially so in some instances.

• Pros:Vibrant, Friendly City, Good Nighlife
  • Cons:Lots Of Building Works
  • In a nutshell:Worth A Couple Of Days Of Your Time
  • Last visit to Santa Cruz de Tenerife: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 13, 2005

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2011 at 2:04 PM

This looks like a nice and serene place to enjoy a trip. The markets and the castillo are always great places to visit. Nice presentation

• qvarizona's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Thanks for the great tips with great photos.

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2009 at 4:40 AM

Ouch, "towering monstrosity", I know what you mean but I quite like the constrast of the two parliament buildings. Nice interesting tips!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2005 at 4:59 AM

I don't know, Steve, I think the edge of a calf in it's juice sounds pretty tasty. ;) I must say I was a bit shocked when I saw the photo and thought, man, The Tillyman is eating in my kinda joints now.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2005 at 6:00 AM

San Andres looks lovely finished at last!

• Muya's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2005 at 10:48 AM

Very interesting tips ! Thanks for visiting my pages :-)

steventilly

“... Dreaming Of Islands ...”

Badges & Stats in Santa Cruz de Tenerife

Have you been to Santa Cruz de Tenerife?

Latest Activity in Santa Cruz de Tenerife