"Keswick - Queen Of The Lakes" Top 5 Page for this destination Keswick by steventilly
Keswick Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 329 photos
Keswick is undoubtedly the Queen of the Northern lakes, and for my mind of the whole lake district. It stands by Derwentwater, a very pretty and accessible lake, and there are some great walks not far from the town (in fact there are some you can make by just walking OUT of the town).
Keswick is the principal town in the Northern Lakes. It enjoys a magnificent setting by Derwentwater and is surrounded by some great walking country. Skiddaw and Blencathra lie just behind the town while Borrwodale and Coledale lie to either side of Derwentwater.
Because of these factors Keswick is the major tourist destination in the area and apparently has more B&B's and guest houses per head of population than anywhere else in the country!
The town has a good variety of pubs, cafes and restaurants and a good number of shops, although the camping/walking/climbing type of shops greatly outnumber the other shops in the town.
Keswick boasts a fantastic theatre "The Theatre By The Lake" (the successor to the rickety old assembly of portacabins that used to be called "The Blue Box Theatre") and a Cinema. There's even a pencil museum!
There are several parks in Keswick, the three main ones being Fitz Park, Hope Park and Crow Park, and each offers different things but all are nice places to relax.
I'll show you what's in and around Keswick, particularly the pubs & restaurants ;-) You'll find that there's a bit of overlap between this page and my Derwentwater page, that's unavoidable.
- Pros:Pubs, Cafes, Shops, Hotels, Walks, Lake, Scenery, Access...
- Cons:Parking Can Be Difficult (& Expensive) At Peak Times
- In a nutshell:Great Base For A Lakeland Holiday
Nice little guesthouse in a typical, solid Lakeland house very close to the centre of Keswick. The rooms are... more travel advice
The Lake District is The Lake District for two reasons. 1 - Glacial Erosion. 2 - Lots of rain. Without the latter I... more travel advice
steventilly's Related Pages
Keswick Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keswick - Queen Of The Lakes"
- "CUMBRIA - THE LAKE DISTRICT"
- "Keswick and Derwent Water"
- "The ideal Lake District town"
- "Luxurious self-catering accomodation"
- "Keswick - Lake District"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Keswick
- Hotels in Keswick
- Transportation in Keswick
- Nightlife in Keswick
- Restaurants in Keswick
- Shopping in Keswick
- Warnings and Dangers in Keswick
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Keswick
- 42 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Keswick?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Keswick
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 54 reviews, 231 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 58 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of the Cyclades Intro, 49 reviews, 203 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minorca Island Intro, 47 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 93 reviews, 139 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Intro, 91 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 62 reviews, 132 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 78 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 76 reviews, 79 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues