"Acoma, Oldest Continously Inhabited City in U.S." Top 5 Page for this destination Acoma Pueblo by Ken_Weaver
Acoma Pueblo Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 131 photos
Acoma Pueblo, also known as "Sky City", according to archeologists, may be the oldest continuously inhabited village in the United States. Earliest archeological finds places the first formation of a village at about 1150 AD. At this time 30 families live in the Pueblo on top of a 357 foot high sandstone mesa.
The first white visitor to the Acoma Pueblo was Francisco Vasques de Coronado. He and his soldiers were in awe of the inpenetrable fortress at the top of the mesa. Two and three story buildings impressed the Conquistador.
Later in 1598, Spanish soldiers tried to steal grain from a Pueblo granary and 13 were killed by the natives. Governor Juan de Onate retaliated and nearly destroyed the village. In 1629, as a matter of restitution, the Spanish government authorized a mission to be built on the mesa.
Construction the San Esteban del Rey Mission was supervised by resident Franciscan Friar, Juan Ramirez, although it was the Acoma people who followed traditional building techniques to build a structure that has lasted for centuries. All materials had to be carried up a steep narrow stone path that had been carved out of the side of the mesa.
Today, the families that live in the Pueblo do so without electricity or standard plumbing. The streets are clean and orderly and are a buzz with tourists seeking the history of this special place or the crafts of the artisans.
- Pros:Spectacular View of the Surrounding area
- In a nutshell:Plan to Spend 3-4 hours on the Pueblo
This is a working oven for the family who built it. more travel advice
This mesa is just off of Highway 40 at the intersection with Highway 6. more travel advice
Ken_Weaver's Related Pages
Acoma Pueblo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vibrant History and Culture at Sky City"
- "A place prepared"
- "Acoma, Oldest Continously Inhabited City in U.S."
- "Haak’u: A Place Prepared"
- "Pueblo Of Acoma: Sky City"
- "Oldest Continually Inhabited Town in the USA"
- "ACOMA PUEBLO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Acoma Pueblo
- Transportation in Acoma Pueblo
- Restaurants in Acoma Pueblo
- Shopping in Acoma Pueblo
- Warnings and Dangers in Acoma Pueblo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Acoma Pueblo
- 17 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Acoma Pueblo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Acoma Pueblo
Photos in Acoma PuebloSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination El Salvador Intro, 19 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Juan Cotzal Intro, 17 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guatemala Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taos Pueblo Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 14 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos
- Parque Nacional Tikal Intro, 15 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chichicastenango Intro, 18 reviews, 18 photos
No friends yet.