"Ken's Lake Charles Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Charles by Ken_Weaver
Lake Charles Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 110 photos
At 2:30am on September 24, 2005, Rita, at times a category 5 hurricane, struck the coast of Southwest Louisiana. Cameron Parish, which includes communities of Holly Beach, Hackberry, and Cameron, sustained the worst damage, virtually wiping out those towns. Calcasieu Parish, which includes Lake Charles, Sulphur, and Vinton, sustained severe damage. Total damage estimates range from $6-11billion in total damage, with $4-6 billion in insured damage. 2 million homes were without electricity. I left the area on Oct 13 and still many homes were without electricity.
I work for Aramark, a company that among other things manages other peoples food operations. We happen to manage the corporate dining operations at the Headquarters of Citgo Petroleum in Houston. Their refinery in Lake Charles was forced into an emergency shutdown and then sustained damage from Hurricane Rita. On September 29, the effort to restart the refinery began and we were asked to come in and set up a feeding operation for the returning workers and the contracted workers needed to repair the damage caused by Rita. The first few days we were preparing about 100 meals a day in a company clubhouse at a private park. By the time I left on October 13, we were serving over 3800 meals a day during 4 meal meal periods. The building's kitchen was only designed to prepare about 100 meals. We brought in a mobile kitchen, refrigerated trucks and tents and hired about 50 people over the two weeks I was there. Every meal was a challenge! The water system was contaminated so we had to cook with and drink bottled water. We had all of equipment on generators. And it was hot and humid........and, mosquitoes just added to the difficulty of working there.
About 15 people on our staff were evacuees from New Orleans. 4 of them had worked at the New Orleans Convention Center which our company had managed the food operations. They had be relocated in Houston and when this opportunity occurred they were offered the first work. Later some of their friends and family members came to work for us. It was very difficult for some....one man had three of his children in three different states all staying with friends or relatives. Several days after he had arrived at our site, he received pictures of his home which revealed that the house was totally destroyed.
I was always amazed at the politeness with which I was addressed while being there. Whenever I asked a yes or no... more travel advice
The first few days after Hurricane Rita, I hardly noticed the mosquitos. However, the last 4 days I was there I was... more travel advice
Ken_Weaver's Related Pages
Lake Charles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Lake Charles Page"
- "Ken's Lake Charles Page"
- "Jmill42's Birthplace"
- "One of Louisiana's Least Considered Gems"
- "Don't ask me...I only ate here"
- "SeaBreezeUSA's new Lake Charles page"
- "Lake Charles is a great place to Visit!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lake Charles
- Hotels in Lake Charles
- Transportation in Lake Charles
- Nightlife in Lake Charles
- Restaurants in Lake Charles
- Warnings and Dangers in Lake Charles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lake Charles
- 7 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Lake Charles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake Charles
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination El Salvador Intro, 19 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Juan Cotzal Intro, 17 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guatemala Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taos Pueblo Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 14 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos
- Parque Nacional Tikal Intro, 15 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chichicastenango Intro, 18 reviews, 18 photos
No friends yet.