"El Salvador" Top 5 Page for this destination El Salvador by Ken_Weaver

El Salvador Travel Guide: 757 reviews and 2,221 photos

Suchitoto

Suchitoto, located 45 miles north of San Salvador, is a wonderful place to see colonial architecture. Santa Lucia is an incredible example as seem to the right. During the last three years that I have been coming to Suchitoto, much has been accomplished in the restoration of the church.
Other sites to see in Suchi:
El Centro de Romero: A convent that has been coverted to a cultural center honoring the great martyr Oscar Arnulfo Romero.

El Teatro de Las Ruinas: currently under renovation

El Parque San Martin; overlooking Lago del Suchilan

La Posada: An incredible restaurant and hotel also overlooking the lake.

To learn more about this wonder little city go to my Suchitoto Page.

El Milagro

El Milagro, 5 miles south of Suchitoto, is a new village that came into existence on Easter Sunday weekend of 2000. AGROS, a Seattle based organization, bought 225 acres of property, help select the orginal 13 families and then worked with Habitat for Humanity to build the village. Subsequently, 12 more homes and families have been added. The families were all very poor and if not homeless, they were at least without property. I have been to the village 3 times on work teams from the Pacific Northwest. We have built stone bridges and laid cement and rock roadway leading into the village. The picture to the right is a pool and waterfall that exists on the property of El Milagro. The parents either lacked the time or didn't know about this pool. Each day after working the team members would go their to cool off and would take the children of the village. None of the children knew how to swim so we would take them on our backs across the pool to a grotto behind the waterfall where they could stand and look out through the water. To learn more on my El Milagro Travelogue.

Costa del Sol

Costa del Sol is a great recreational area to the south of San Salvador. I am told that the wealthy travel here on the holidays and during "good" months. I have been here three times during July or August( the rainy season) and it has been 85-90F every day although for an hour or so every day it has rained.
Learn more on my Costa de Sol Travelogue.

• Pros:Beautiful Country and People
  • Cons:Infrastructure still suffering from civil war, hurricanes, earthquakes
  • In a nutshell:Very Economical Place to Vacation
  • Last visit to El Salvador: Jul 2002
  • Intro Updated Aug 15, 2003

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2009 at 7:51 AM

Ken...thanks for a very informative page. My son (from San Diego) will be going to El S. in a few weeks.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2007 at 6:45 AM

great tips!

• Apr 29, 2007 at 12:32 PM

Ken, I am looking at traveling to the Costa del Sol Region of ES ths summer with family. I am finding it difficult to find budget accoms in the area, also get info on surf spots for beginners - with out paying for a huge whooping tour. Any ideas?

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2006 at 10:15 AM

Thanks for sharing . Great pages.Why planes only from the US?

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2006 at 9:46 PM

Hello Ken! Wow, what a virtual tour I've just had to El Salvador! Excellent page which was created with respect and love. I missed ES in September when I was in C America, but will visit it in the future.

• Orkaena's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2006 at 9:25 PM

remarkable pages, remarkable job you done, remarkable spirit and will you have

• Wiseman1964's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2006 at 8:27 PM

Ken, did you go into the chapel where Romero was shot? I also spent a lot time Suchitoto and a few agricutural cooperatives near a volacano called Gazapa. Why did you travel to El Salvador? Cheers, Ken

• zanzooni's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2006 at 10:10 PM

There are many "Salvadruco's" here in my area, and many are friends of mine. You will find the Papuseria trucks here in VA as well. ~

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2006 at 3:54 PM

Very interesting and informative page. An enjoyable virtual visit, with some good insights. Thank you.

• Jun 17, 2005 at 7:33 AM

I sent you an e-mail the other day will be travelling there in 3 weeks with 8 young adults to "help" with projects and to educate ourselves. Hope you received it your insights have been helpful. dave

Ken_Weaver

“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.”

Badges & Stats in El Salvador

Have you been to El Salvador?

Latest Activity in El Salvador