"Chichicastenango-Best Marketplace in Guatemala" Top 5 Page for this destination Chichicastenango by Ken_Weaver

Chichicastenango Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 213 photos

We arrived on a Wednesday afternoon and checked into the Villa Grande Hotel. We made the short walk from the hotel to the city center to get a preview of the vendors setting up for the big Market Day that occurs every Thursday and Sunday in Chichicastenango. Farmers and craftsmen from the hightlands around this community break from their routine to repeat what has become a ritual and we got a chance to see what was going to happen before the tourbuses began rolling in on Thursday morning. Many types of crafts are shown market day but the textiles are the most notable The colors and the designs are amazing. The smells and sounds of the market are quite intoxicating.This has been truly one of my most favorite experiences in travel to other countries.

To learn more go to my
Market Day in Chichi Travelogue.

All photos were taken by me unless otherwise credited to several of my friends.

• Pros:Magnificient Colors, Fragrant Odors, Exciting Sounds
  • Cons:Hard to find fault
  • In a nutshell:One of My Favorite Memories of Guatemala
  • Last visit to Chichicastenango: Aug 1999
  • Intro Updated Aug 15, 2003

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2006 at 10:45 PM

The colourful textiles are lovely! I have never been to Chichicastenago, but did the same as you at the market in Antigua; bought a bag with maya textile for my souvenirs.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2004 at 10:33 AM

you're starting to make me think about a trip to guatemala . . . wonderful colors!!

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2004 at 6:56 PM

Wonderful page. Your photos are astonishing.

• Sep 5, 2003 at 7:45 AM

Ken- I loved your page. I am a photographer and have done 30 years of photographing Mexico's markets. I am ready to do Guatemala and I especially love the colors and the fabrics and textures. Thanks for the insight. Chichi is on the top of my list.

• pili's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2003 at 2:19 PM

What an interesting page! I had a great time reading about your trip and the pics are fantastic! So colorful! Thank you for sharing!!

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2003 at 8:35 PM

The photos tell their own stories. Colorful :-)

• syllybabe's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2003 at 10:33 PM

Catholicism mixed with indigenous pagan practices...definitely familiar to me! Another great page, Ken! Can I have one of those colorful fabrics next time you go to Chichi?

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2003 at 2:54 PM

incredible page of a place I didn't even know, it existed!!! Thanks for the great info!

• suraphona's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2003 at 11:39 PM

Thanks again for the beautiful info & pics especially from Nancy Allen

• yeah_baby's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2003 at 11:18 AM

awesome page and so authentic! cool chicken bus too!

Ken_Weaver

“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.”

Badges & Stats in Chichicastenango

Have you been to Chichicastenango?

Friends