"Panajachel on Lago de Atitlan" Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel by Ken_Weaver
Panajachel Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 294 photos
Panajachel, located in the Guatemala Highlands provides a spectacular place to view as Aldous Huxley claimed "Atitlan is the most beautiful lake in the world." Around the lake are three 10,000ft. volcanos-Toliman, Atitlan, and San Pedro. From Pana you can take boats to indigenous villages around the lake including Santiago Atitlan, Santa Cararina Palopo, and San Antonio Palopo, all famous for its beautiful textiles weaving.
During the time of the Conquistadors, there were many battles along the shores of the lake with Cakquiquels as allies to the Spanish defeating the Tzutuhils. Descendents of these two groups still live along the lake shores and have conserved their traditional lifestyle, language, customs and dress.
I encountered these two young ladies one day and was obliged to buy from them. My friend, Nancy, captured this wonderful photo at that time. To learn more about the area take a look at my <a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/2ea16/">Pana on the Lake, Shops, Flowers, and Volcanoes </a> Travelogue.
Lago de Atitlan gives the photographer a varieties of opportunities. The lake can be placid and absolutely still one moment and then be tossed into a frothy frenzy by the "Xocomil" the wind out of southeast.
- Pros:Great Place to Relax and Enjoy the Color of Guatemala
- In a nutshell:One Place in Central America to Which I will definitely Return
We discovered this wonderful art shop about a block off of the main drag. It is run by a German national and is not a... more travel advice
Not only are the gardens beautiful but don't be suprised as you round a corner and find tropical birds on a branch. more travel advice
Ken_Weaver's Related Pages
Panajachel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Panajachel . . . Where it's okay to be a gringo"
- "On the shores of Lake Atitlàn"
- "Tourist Central on Lake Atitlan"
- "Panajachel on Lago de Atitlan"
- "Panajachel, Guatemala"
- "8th Wonder of the World"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Panajachel
- Hotels in Panajachel
- Transportation in Panajachel
- Nightlife in Panajachel
- Restaurants in Panajachel
- Shopping in Panajachel
- Warnings and Dangers in Panajachel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Panajachel
- 16 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Panajachel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Panajachel
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination El Salvador Intro, 19 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Juan Cotzal Intro, 17 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guatemala Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taos Pueblo Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 14 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos
- Parque Nacional Tikal Intro, 15 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chichicastenango Intro, 18 reviews, 18 photos
No friends yet.