"Journey to the Western Highlands" San Juan Cotzal by Ken_Weaver
San Juan Cotzal Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 28 photos
The last paved road from Chichicastenango ends at Sacapulas. It is uphill from here over a mountain pass and into the Ixil Triangle bordered on the corners by Chajul, Nebaj and San Juan Cotzal.
Our group posing at the entrance to this region which was so devasted by the civil war.
The Waldorf is the base camp for almost all of the work teams that travel to this remote town in the Western Highlands. San Juan Cotzal is about 180 miles northeast of Guatemala City yet it takes over 9 hours of driving to get there because of treacherously narrow and unpaved mountain roads. The elevation is about 5500 feet above sea level so even in the summer it is moderate in temperature. This building has two sleeping dorms with bunks and an adjacent building is used for cooking and eating. There are several showers in a separate building on the compound and everyone washes their clothes in a pila. Learn more at Life At The Waldorf Travelogue.
- Pros:Beautiful Mountainous Country with Temperate Climate
- Cons:Scariest road I have ever been on!
- In a nutshell:This area is not for the feign hearted
These Ixil women are enjoying a nice juicy piece of gossip or perhaps they are admiring some young man....perhaps even... more travel advice
Here is an Ixil woman in full indigenous dress complete with head covering. more travel advice
Written Aug 15, 2003
From San Juan Cotzal to Belen
Written Dec 29, 2002
Life at the Waldorf
Ken_Weaver's Related Pages
San Juan Cotzal Travel Guide
- Hotels in San Juan Cotzal
- Shopping in San Juan Cotzal
- Warnings and Dangers in San Juan Cotzal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Juan Cotzal
- 17 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to San Juan Cotzal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Juan Cotzal
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination El Salvador Intro, 19 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Juan Cotzal Intro, 17 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guatemala Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taos Pueblo Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 14 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos
- Parque Nacional Tikal Intro, 15 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chichicastenango Intro, 18 reviews, 18 photos
No friends yet.