"Suchitoto" Top 5 Page for this destination Suchitoto by Ken_Weaver

Suchitoto Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 85 photos

City in General

Suchitoto in the indigenous Nahuat, means "Place of Birds and Flowers" Like many cities and towns in Central America, there is a central plaza with the main church on the perimeter..in this case, Iglesia de Santa Lucia, built around 1528. In addition to this plaza there is another park, Parque de San Martin, about 4 blocks away that overlooks the lake.The park is unique because of the welded sculptures..made from weapons of war...machine guns, parts from helicopters, etc.

The urban population is 12,000 but the municipality boasts 28,000.
In 1998, the World Monuments Watch designated Suchitoto as one of the world's 100 most significant places!

El Centro de Romero

El Centro de Romero is a cultural center used by our teams that travel to El Salvador to do humanitarian work. The facility is also used for conferences and classes. Raul pictured with me on the left is the caretaker of the center. Besides doing a great job of taking care of us while we stay there, he has some great stories to tell about the times of the civil war....he speaks only Spanish so bring your translator if you "no habla espanol."
Reservations are necessary and I believe the facility only caters to groups of ten or more. The sleeping accommodations are bunk beds with mattresses...a men's dorm that sleeps about 12 and a women's dorm that sleeps about the same. Arrangements can be made to have your meals there...we had breakfast and dinner ...the cook is sensitive to sanitation needs that we Norteamericanos require and the quality is okay.

La Posada

One of the most beautiful views in the world! Lago de Suchitlan as seen from the patio of the restaurant and hotel known as La Posada. See either accommodation or restaurant tips

Learn more about Suchitoto.

• Pros:Great Example of Spanish Colonial Architecture
  • Cons:Not a lot of air conditioning!
  • Last visit to Suchitoto: Jul 2002
  • Intro Updated Oct 4, 2003

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2009 at 11:37 AM

I'm finally going to El Salvador! Suchitoto looks nice, but I have not included it in my first itinerary. Maybe I have to change my plans! Ken, it is a long time since I saw you around here. Where are you?

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2006 at 11:15 AM

Nice page. The El Posado looks like a great place to stay for a few days. Thanks for the tip.

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2003 at 12:33 PM

Excellent page! I enjoyed.

• Guantanamera's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2003 at 11:38 PM

$1.50/hr is a great net cafe rate by world standards but can't beat the lowest rate I've ever paid: 36 cents/hr in Dalian, China!

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2003 at 10:27 AM

Ken, this is another one of your wonderful pages that I really enjoy looking at!!! Have a wonderful weekend!

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2003 at 7:06 PM

Wow great photos and tip!! :) Thank you for the tour!

• SumTingWong's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2003 at 7:11 PM

¡Muy interesante! Esta ciudad parece muy colonial. Parece muy diferente en comparación a la mayoría de las ciudades de centroamerica. ¡Página fantástica!

• syllybabe's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2003 at 6:03 PM

I'd love to go even just for the freshly squeezed, icy limonadas, Ken! ...and the steaks! :-)

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2003 at 3:02 AM

very interesting, thanks for share it with us

• d_d's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2003 at 9:47 AM

Always accurate & helpful!:-)

Ken_Weaver

“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.”

Badges & Stats in Suchitoto

Have you been to Suchitoto?

Latest Activity in Suchitoto