"Suchitoto" Top 5 Page for this destination Suchitoto by Ken_Weaver
Suchitoto Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 85 photos
Suchitoto in the indigenous Nahuat, means "Place of Birds and Flowers" Like many cities and towns in Central America, there is a central plaza with the main church on the perimeter..in this case, Iglesia de Santa Lucia, built around 1528. In addition to this plaza there is another park, Parque de San Martin, about 4 blocks away that overlooks the lake.The park is unique because of the welded sculptures..made from weapons of war...machine guns, parts from helicopters, etc.
The urban population is 12,000 but the municipality boasts 28,000.
In 1998, the World Monuments Watch designated Suchitoto as one of the world's 100 most significant places!
El Centro de Romero is a cultural center used by our teams that travel to El Salvador to do humanitarian work. The facility is also used for conferences and classes. Raul pictured with me on the left is the caretaker of the center. Besides doing a great job of taking care of us while we stay there, he has some great stories to tell about the times of the civil war....he speaks only Spanish so bring your translator if you "no habla espanol."
Reservations are necessary and I believe the facility only caters to groups of ten or more. The sleeping accommodations are bunk beds with mattresses...a men's dorm that sleeps about 12 and a women's dorm that sleeps about the same. Arrangements can be made to have your meals there...we had breakfast and dinner ...the cook is sensitive to sanitation needs that we Norteamericanos require and the quality is okay.
One of the most beautiful views in the world! Lago de Suchitlan as seen from the patio of the restaurant and hotel known as La Posada. See either accommodation or restaurant tips
Learn more about Suchitoto.
- Pros:Great Example of Spanish Colonial Architecture
- Cons:Not a lot of air conditioning!
Just outside of Suchitoto is an area called Tenango. This was a battle zone during the Civil war. The church, as you can... more travel advice
Visit La Posada Hotel event if you are not going to stay overnight or eat there. The grounds are kept up like a nice... more travel advice
Ken_Weaver's Related Pages
Suchitoto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old capital"
- "Colonial Suchitoto"
- "Charming Colonial town"
- "Living in Suchitoto"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Suchitoto
- Hotels in Suchitoto
- Transportation in Suchitoto
- Restaurants in Suchitoto
- Warnings and Dangers in Suchitoto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Suchitoto
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Suchitoto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Suchitoto
Photos in SuchitotoSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination El Salvador Intro, 19 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Juan Cotzal Intro, 17 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guatemala Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taos Pueblo Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 14 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos
- Parque Nacional Tikal Intro, 15 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chichicastenango Intro, 18 reviews, 18 photos
No friends yet.