"Charming colonial city" Cusco by jlynyc
Cusco Travel Guide: 1,095 reviews and 2,384 photos
Many people come to Cusco which is the beginning of their trip up to Machu Picchu. While you're acclimating to the change in altitude, be sure to explore all the crooks and crannies that make up Cusco. It's a beautiful, charming old colonial city and shouldn't be overlooked in your anticipation of Machu Picchu.
Plaza de Armas is the main square in Cusco and it is lined with souvenier shops, guide companies and restaurants.
The San Blas neighborhood of Cusco sits atop a hill with narrow alleyways cut by steep staircases or roads leading to the next street. It is the "artsy" part of Cusco and is full of artisan shops.
We had just returned to Cusco from a morning trip out to the ruins at Sacsayhuaman and decided to relax over a meal in the Plaza de Armas. We sat near a window on the second floor of a restaurant located right on the square and while we were eating, a local parade and harvest festival began. We had an unobstructed birdseye view of this celebration and it was such an unexpected treat. Sit back, order another Fanta and you never know what you may come across!
- Pros:quaint, charming, colonial city
- Cons:change in altitude
- In a nutshell:A gem in the Andes
We stopped at Ollyantaytambo on our way back to Cusco from Aguascalientes. It's a short train ride away and from there... more travel advice
Located just above Cusco, these ruins are a great sidetrip before or after Machu Picchu. more travel advice
jlynyc's Related Pages
Cusco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cusco and the Sacred Valley"
- "The center of the Empire"
- "The "special" shine in Cusco"
- "Cusco - "Navel of the Earth""
- "A window on Cuzco"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cusco
- Hotels in Cusco
- Transportation in Cusco
- Nightlife in Cusco
- Restaurants in Cusco
- Shopping in Cusco
- Warnings and Dangers in Cusco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cusco
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Cusco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cusco
Photos in CuscoSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 27 reviews, 12 photos
- Paris Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- Belize Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Morocco Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos
- Brussels Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Cusco Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Brugge Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Reykjavík 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Aruba Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
No friends yet.