"Oberwesel/ Rhein" Top 5 Page for this destination Oberwesel by Elena77
Oberwesel Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 234 photos
Like so many other towns in this area the origins of Oberwesel can be traced back to Celtic settlements. Oberwesel was originally founded as "Vosavia" or "Volsolvia". Later the Romans maintained a horse exchanging station and a harborage at this place. After the coming down of the Limes (German equivalent to Hadrian's Wall) and the withdrawal of the Roman troops, Oberwesel became a fiefdom of the Frankish royal dynasty. In 1220 the title "free imperial city" was bestowed upon Oberwesel (free cities had independent representation in the Reichstag of the Holy Roman Empire). The importance of Oberwesel in the Middle Ages also expresses in the establishment of 2 bishoprics as well as 2 monasteries at the municipal area.
During the War of the Palatine Succession at the end of the 17th century Oberwesel was partly destroyed by troops of the French "Sun King" Louis XIV. The town remained under French reign until 1815 when, in the course of the Congress of Vienna, it became Prussian again.
At Oberwesel there are many beautiful, ancient buildings. And one of the most amazing can be found next to St. Martin’s... more travel advice
Schönburg castle is perched on a narrow rocky ridge with a truly massive shield wall, one of the most impressive of its... more travel advice
Elena77's Related Pages
Oberwesel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "16 medieval towers & Schoenburg castle"
- "Oberwesel/ Rhein"
- "Oberwesel, in the Rhine Gorge"
- "Picture of Oberwesel from the Castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oberwesel
- Hotels in Oberwesel
- Transportation in Oberwesel
- Warnings and Dangers in Oberwesel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oberwesel
- 5 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Oberwesel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oberwesel
Photos in OberweselSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Västra Götalands län Intro, 19 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Koblenz Intro, 23 reviews, 51 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gwynedd Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos
- Wales Intro, 2 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mona Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bamberg Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Clwyd Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dinkelsbühl Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos
- Trier Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos