Dublin Things to Do Tips by Elena77
Dublin Things to Do: 1,803 reviews and 2,695 photos
The guys worshiping Phil Lynott ; )
At the city centre of Dublin you can find a statue in memory of the (in)famous Philip Parris Lynott, an Irish singer, bassist, songwriter and poet who won great fame being the front man of Thin Lizzy. Phil Lynott was born in 1949 to a Brazilian father and an Irish mother in England but grew up in Dublin, parented by his grandmother.
He played in several bands before starting Thin Lizzy in 1970. The band's hits include: “The Boys are back in Town”, “Jailbreak”, “Dancing in the Moonlight”, “Rosalie”, “Wild One” and “Whisky in the Jar” (a Rock version of the traditional Irish Folk song).
Phil Lynott was notorious for his excessive life style. In December of 1985 he was taken to hospital suffering from a kindney and liver infection caused by drug and alcohol dependency. He died on January 4th 1986 at the age of only 36 and was buried at Saint Fintan’s Cemetery in Dublin.
In 2005 a life sized bronze statue of Phil Lynott was unveiled at Harry Street in Dublin. Former Thin Lizzy band members (including Gary Moore) attended the ceremony and paid tribute to Phil by performing some songs live.
Address: Harry Street, Dublin
Directions: Harry Street (off Grafton Street)
Dublinia unfortunately turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. Maybe I was just expecting too much... my friends told me it was some kind of Viking museum. And with Dublin’s exciting Viking history in mind I was expecting something as spectacular as "Historiska Museet" in Stockholm. Dublinia is rather an exhibition than a museum, you will not find too many authentic relics there. The history of the origins of Dublin and the living conditions of the city’s inhabitants is reconstructed. Several of the exhibitions there are „interactive“, there is a reconstruction of a man put in the pillory, for example. People can throw balls at him and if they hit his nose he’ll reveal why he’s in this predicament. You’ll also find detailed info on topics like: local laws and customs, crime and punishment, medieval guilds, trade relations, etc. Each exhibition has information boards in English and commentaries and info sheets are also available in several languages (English, French, Spanish, Italian and German).
One separate exhibition examines Viking history. You can find a reconstructed Viking warship and detailed info on Viking religion, war gear, poetry, clothing and living conditions, among others. The exhibition also explains the effects that the Viking rule and raids had on Dublin and Ireland.
Dublinia did not come up to my expectations but children will probably find the interactive character very entertaining.
You'll find a gift/ souvenir shop on your way out.
If you intend to visit both Dublinia and Christ Church Cathedral get a combined ticket at Dublinia!
Entrance fee Dublinia: 6,25 Euros
Combined ticket: 11,00 Euros (will save you 1,25 Euros)
Family tickets available
Address: St Michael’s Hill, Christchurch, Dublin 8
Directions: City centre, right next to Christ Church Cathedral
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +353 1 6794611
Elena77's Related Pages
Dublin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ultra Trendy Capital City"
- "Great place - but not the real Ireland"
- "Dublin - The Windy City!!"
- "My first trip to Ireland!"
- "Dirty old town"
- "The GREAT city of Dublin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dublin
- Hotels in Dublin
- Transportation in Dublin
- Nightlife in Dublin
- Restaurants in Dublin
- Shopping in Dublin
- Warnings and Dangers in Dublin
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dublin
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Dublin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dublin
- updated a Dublin Travel Page "Baile Átha Cliath"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: My Favourite Watering Hole"
- Wrote a Review Philip Parris Lynott about Philip Parris Lynott Statue in Dublin Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dublinia & Viking World"
- Commented on one of sarahandgareth's Dublin travel pages
Photos in DublinSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Västra Götalands län Intro, 19 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Koblenz Intro, 23 reviews, 51 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gwynedd Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos
- Wales Intro, 2 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mona Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bamberg Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Clwyd Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dinkelsbühl Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos
- Trier Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (11)
Latest Dublin hotel reviews
- Longfields Hotel
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 2, 2007
- The Fleet Street Hotel Dublin
- 206 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Morrison Hotel
- 330 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Phoenix Park House Dublin
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Bridge House
- 114 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- River House Hotel
- 143 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- St George
- 178 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- ABC Guesthouse
- 225 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Stauntons on the Green Hotel
- 289 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Best Western Royal Dublin Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
- 471 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Premier Apartments Dublin Sandyford
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 30, 2013
- Ashbrook House Country Home Bed and Breakfast Dublin
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 17, 2012
- Shaw Court Serviced Apartments
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2009
- Leeson Court Hotel Dublin
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 21, 2013
- Kilmainham Jail- 68 Reviews, 112 Photos
- Guinness Brewery- 141 Reviews, 216 Photos
- Trinity College- 139 Reviews, 204 Photos
- Christ Church Cathedral- 91 Reviews, 158 Photos
- Temple Bar- 50 Reviews, 73 Photos
- Ha'penny Bridge- 51 Reviews, 81 Photos
- St Stephen's Green- 60 Reviews, 122 Photos
- St Patrick's Cathedral- 53 Reviews, 121 Photos
- Castle- 107 Reviews, 169 Photos
- Grafton Street- 42 Reviews, 52 Photos
See All Dublin Things to Do