"Dinkelsbühl" Top 5 Page for this destination Dinkelsbühl by Elena77
Dinkelsbühl Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 180 photos
The small town of Dinkelsbühl, close to Ansbach in Bavaria, today still is an extraordinary example of a medieval German urban-planning context. The old part of the town is remarkably well preserved as it came through both World Wars almost without any considerable damage. So the streets and squares of Dinkelsbühl are edged by beautiful half-timbered houses and medieval ambience is sensible almost everywhere. A great part of the town walls, including numerous gates and towers have also been preserved and can be visited today.
The origin of Dinkelsbühl goes back to the 10th century when a fortress was built at the intersection of 2 trade routes at the river Wörnitz. The settlement has 1st been officially mentioned at a bestowal document of Emperor Friedrich Barbarossa as "Burgus Tinkelspuhel" in 1188. In 13th century Dinkelsbühl becomes a free Imperial Town and therefore receives important privileges. During the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648) governance of the town changes 8 times, but after staticizing of the Swedes in 1632 Dinkelsbühl has been spared from any further destruction or plundering.
Today the historical old town of Dinkelsbühl belongs to Europe's most important cultural monuments, and justifiably so!
- Pros:Amazingly beautiful place, experience heritage!
- Cons:Maybe too many tourists in Summer
- In a nutshell:Outstanding and beautiful!
"Goldner Hirsch" is a nice inn, located right at the town centre of Dinkelsbühl. It's right at Weinmarkt (wine market),... more travel advice
If you're travelling to Dinkelsbühl in Summer and you're not into Heavy Metal music, do avoid the 3rd weekend in August.... more travel advice
Elena77's Related Pages
Dinkelsbühl Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dinkelsbuehl - a smaller and quieter Rothenburg"
- "On and Off the Road In Dinkelsbuhl"
- "Medieval Walled town with Class"
- "A Feast for Your Eyes"
- "Welcome to medieval times..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dinkelsbühl
- Hotels in Dinkelsbühl
- Transportation in Dinkelsbühl
- Restaurants in Dinkelsbühl
- Shopping in Dinkelsbühl
- Warnings and Dangers in Dinkelsbühl
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dinkelsbühl
- 7 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Dinkelsbühl?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dinkelsbühl
Photos in DinkelsbühlSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Västra Götalands län Intro, 19 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Koblenz Intro, 23 reviews, 51 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gwynedd Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos
- Wales Intro, 2 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mona Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bamberg Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Clwyd Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dinkelsbühl Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos
- Trier Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos