"Sir Caerfyrddin" Dyfed by Elena77
Dyfed Travel Guide: 355 reviews and 1,297 photos
Dyfed, in Southern Wales, consists of the 3 old counties: Carmarthen, Pembroke and Cardigan. On our trip through Wales in April 2007 we've spent 2 beautiful days in Carmarthenshire. This area is especially famous for the Brecon Beacons National Park, for imposing castles and for the Black Mountain. We mainly came to see the castles Carreg Cennen, Dinefwr and Dryslwyn. Well, I have to admit that we took so long to explore Carreg Cennen and Dinefwr that in the end it was too dark to search for Dryslwyn. So, I think, we will come back as soon as possible to "fill that gap". :)
The river Tywi winds through the beautiful green hills of Southern Carmarthenshire. It is the longest river that entirely runs through Wales. It rises on lower slopes of Crug Gynan in the Cambrian Mountains and flows through the Tywi Forest forming the border between Ceredigion and Powys. The river flows South/ Westwards through Carmarthenshire passing through the towns of Llandovery and Llandeilo. In Carmarthen it is joined by the substantial tributary, the Afon Gwili at Abergwili. Finally the Tywi flows into Carmarthen Bay in a combined estuary with the rivers Tâf and Gwendraeth, East of the Pendine Sands.
The Brecon Beacons (Bannau Brycheiniog) is a mountain range located in the South/ East of Wales. It forms the central section of the Brecon Beacons National Park (Parc Cenedlaethol Bannau Brycheiniog), one of the 3 National Parks of Wales. The Brecon Beacons are so named after ancient practice of lighting signal fires (beacons) on the mountains to warn of attacks by the English.
Popular activities in the park include walking, cycling, horse riding, sailing, windsurfing, canoeing, fishing and rock climbing.
- Pros:Striking landscapes, impressive castles, great people
- Cons:Honestly, no idea!
- In a nutshell:One of the most beautiful parts of Wales!
Carreg Cennen Castle, perched high on the edge of the Afon Cennen gorge in the Breacon Beacons National Park, which... more travel advice
Elena77's Related Pages
Dyfed Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Dyfed
- Hotels in Dyfed
- Transportation in Dyfed
- Nightlife in Dyfed
- Restaurants in Dyfed
- Shopping in Dyfed
- Warnings and Dangers in Dyfed
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dyfed
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Dyfed?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dyfed
Top 10 Pages
- Västra Götalands län Intro, 19 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Koblenz Intro, 23 reviews, 51 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gwynedd Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos
- Wales Intro, 2 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mona Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bamberg Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Clwyd Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dinkelsbühl Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos
- Trier Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos