"The German Rome" Bamberg by Elena77
Bamberg Travel Guide: 436 reviews and 1,347 photos
In Bamberg you will find the biggest intact medieval town centre of Germany. In 1993 the UNESCO added the town to the World Heritage List. Around 2.300 of the buildings here are protected as an historic monument. The town is an entire work of art, full of history and interesting sights; and as it was built on 7 hills it's sometimes called "The German Rome".
Bamberg is also famous for its breweries- in the year 1818 there were 65 registered breweries (today 9 are left).
The cathedral St. Peter and St. Georg was begun in 1004 when Emperor Heinrich II did lay the foundation stone, in 1012 it was consecrated. But 2 fires (in 1081 and 1185) almost completely destroyed the original building. Today's cathedral was built in the early 13th century.
Inside the cathedral you can find the tombs of Emperor Heinrich II (canonized in 1146) and his wife Kunigunde (canonized in 1200) and also the only tomb of a pope North of the Alps (Pope Clemens II who died in 1047)
In 13th century Carmelite monastery
- Pros:Beautiful city centre, all sites at close range
- In a nutshell:Living history
Alte Hofhaltung is a complex of beautiful late Gothic-style buildings framing a picturesque inner courtyard. Most... more travel advice
Next to the Imperial Cathedral there is „Schöne Pforte“ (Beautiful Gate) which is the entranceway to “Alte Hofhaltung”... more travel advice
Elena77's Related Pages
Bamberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City of Famous landmarks"
- "Wonderful Bamberg"
- "Medieval Bamberg"
- "Beloved Bamberg !"
- "Bamberg - every cloud has a silver lining"
- "The best of Bamberg...."
- "Bamberg - an UNESCO world heritage site"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bamberg
- Hotels in Bamberg
- Transportation in Bamberg
- Nightlife in Bamberg
- Restaurants in Bamberg
- Shopping in Bamberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Bamberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bamberg
- 6 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Bamberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bamberg
Top 10 Pages
- Västra Götalands län Intro, 19 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Koblenz Intro, 23 reviews, 51 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gwynedd Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos
- Wales Intro, 2 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mona Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bamberg Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Clwyd Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dinkelsbühl Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos
- Trier Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos