"A Walk In The Clouds" rachelleiris's Profile
My dad used to make airplanes with his bare hands.. No, it’s not exactly paper airplanes… As far as I know (or as far as I can remember from stories by aunts and uncles), he used to make 2 kinds of airplanes..
ONE: Model planes that are very similar to what we know today as ultra-lite aircrafts, only rougher. The kind that he would play with... and fly-over the lake in our province – with the use of a remote control.. And yup.. he did that all by himself! Some huge (5 feet in length), some medium-sized (2 to 3 feet in length), these model planes would actually hang and fill-up the corners of our house – barely leaving space for my and my little brother’s toys. But hey, we’re not complaining.. I must admit they looked quite dandy. :-)
TWO: Real huge international airplanes.. which he would not exactly construct… but tinker with, as part of his job as a Mechanical Engineer in Philippine Airlines back in the 70’s. He could’ve been a pilot but his poor eyesight prevented him from being so. (Too bad, lasik surgeries were not invented during that time yet).
Anyway, yes… my dad was a long-haired, cool, hippie dad who played the drums, took a lot of photos – what with his leica and nikon lenses, rode a big 750 cc bike, traveled a lot as part of his job… and built all these planes when ultra-lite planes were still unheard of.
When he met an accident some 28 years back, he died on the spot -- leaving my mom and me and my five-month old baby brother -- devastatingly hubby-less and daddy-less respectively. And as a cute, chubby and adorable (or so they say, blush blush) three-year old “daddy’s girl”, I couldn’t grasp the idea that my dad was in a far away place like the heaven…
And since airplanes are the closest thing to heaven, I would always associate my dad with those little flying things (I say, little -- from the porch where I would stand)… waving my hands like crazy -- and yelling daddy! daddy! – naively hoping that he could see and hear me..
As a thirty-ish young girl (haha, young!... “young-ness” is a state of mind, y’know!), I am pretty sure that my dad is watching over us from where he’s happily standing… or flying… or whatever the case may be…
And I have long stopped searching for dad in all the planes that I’ve ridden.. because I know fully well that he could travel even without those things now.. haha, is that creepy or what?!
But don’t worry, my travelogues will not be “angst-filled, in-search-of-dad” kinds of things..
- it’ll be about the joys of riding planes, and watching 8 dvds in one-sitting till my eyes pop-out...
- about the contentment of being able to sleep like a baby (in-between dvds)...what with the hypnotizing propeller sounds and cozy warm plane blankets…
- about indulging in yummy “chicken or pork?” plane food...
My travelogues will be about letting go as soon as the plane takes off… and looking forward to something new and fabulous as soon as the plane touches down..
My travelogues will not be about looking for something or someone that’s not there in the first place.. but about discovering and re-discovering myself in different worlds and contexts...
My travel pages will be about kissing some friendly camels (almost!)... about braving the scorching Dubai desert heat for some adrenaline-pumping dune bashing experience...
...about 5-seconds of pure surfing bliss in La Union, Philippines... and hair-raising Japanese shipwreck diving in Coron Palawan, Philippines...
...about wandering through the streets of New York in search of a good broadway show or some queer art events, museums and architecture...
Oh, I could go and on! I should leave some for my other pages...
Anyway, hope to bump into you on the plane, at the airport.. or wherever our feet or those little flying things could take me (or us)!
Cheers to airplanes! Cheers to a great and fabulous and surprising world! Happy flying! :-)
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 17 Reviews
- 92 Photos
- 1 Countries
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- rachelleiris and colin_bramso are now friends.
- Commented on jivanne96's profile page
- Wrote a Review Souk Shopping Secrets in Sharjah Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Souk Shopping Secrets"
- updated a Sharjah Travel Page "Sharjah: A Hop, Skip and a Drive Away from Dubai"
updated their Profile Page "A Walk In The Clouds"
- Dubai Intro, 14 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sharjah Intro, 3 reviews, 18 photos
- San Juan 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boracay Island 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Hotels
- 22161 Reviews - 53866 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15523 Reviews - 30893 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23058 Reviews - 47256 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26470 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8346 Reviews - 17013 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1908 Reviews - 4459 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7630 Reviews - 19467 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos