Ohrid Things to Do Tips by lizzie1715
Ohrid Things to Do: 401 reviews and 1,128 photos
Lake Ohrid is the deepest lake in the Balkans and probably the oldest lake in Europe . This alone makes it a must visit destination, and it is not surprising that it is a UNESCO listed site. Besides its age, what makes the lake so special for UNESCO is the fact that it has endemic species living in it that go over the whole food chain. However, what makes it so special for me is it's colours, it's changing moods which capture the imagination and sets the mind to wondering at all the things that this lake has seen....
On the Macedonian side of the lake there is about 50 km of shore length, so this gives you plenty of space for contemplation, be it on the promenade with crowds swarming (especially July and August), or on a quite stretch outside the city on your own.
If you don't like crowds, go in September. Perfect weather, perfect ambiance, perfect break.
Church ground , and souvenir stalls
The climb from Lake Ohrid's shore in the old city centre to the St Clement Monastery is totally worthwhile because not only do you meander through ancient tiny cobbled streets and see beautiful architecture, you also eventually reach this church. It is very interesting to see how they have incorporated the past with the present in the restoration of this church. The views surrounding the church are great and also during tourist season there are lots of souvenir vendors selling their wares. When we were there, there was a wedding taking place, so it was lovely to witness that the church is used by the people of Ohrid as more than a tourist attraction.
This church is a pretty one located very close to the town centre, before the big climb to the more famous Sv Kliment Monastery. We didn't actually get to go inside it because we didn't have denars and could not pay for the admission. I was very disappointed that there was actually an admission price and one that differed for foreigners. The entry is inexpensive (approx $3 ), however the fact that you have to pay to enter such a small little church leaves a bad impression.
Which premier did this house belong to?
Ohrid has a very unique and distinctive architectual style in the old town section. Tiny cobbled streets, meander upwards, the old houses overhanging, creating light and shades, a sense of history. Some of the houses are so picture perfect, they are like those doll houses that make you long to have a peek inside and discover exactly what they look like on the inside. In autumn colourful strings of dried red chillies hang on the outside walls competing with the potted geraniums for attention. I found that I enjoyed the adventure of exploring Ohrid without a map or guides, rather just wondering on our own, taking our time. The old centre is too small to get lost in, and you are virtually guaranteed to come across some wonderful surprises. I found that this was the best way to get the feel of the place. Only then could I trully appreciate the wonderful churches etc.
Here are a few more pictures that show different facets of this wonderful site
More Reviews (2)
lizzie1715's Related Pages
Ohrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ohrid - City of centuries"
- "Ohridskoto Ezero"
- "OHRID - MACEDONIA'S RIVIERA"
- "Ohrid – Treasury of Religious Art"
- "Sveti Jovan Kaneo - "Before the Rain""
- "SECOND OFFICIAL VT DINNER IN OHRID"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ohrid
- Hotels in Ohrid
- Transportation in Ohrid
- Nightlife in Ohrid
- Restaurants in Ohrid
- Shopping in Ohrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Ohrid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ohrid
- 7 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Ohrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ohrid
Top 10 Pages
- Florence Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos
- Vienna Intro, 8 reviews, 36 photos
- Skopje Intro, 7 reviews, 35 photos
- Cesky Krumlov Intro, 7 reviews, 31 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos
- Ohrid Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos
- Madrid Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos
- Toledo Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos
- Zürich Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos
- Sydney 2 reviews, 10 photos
- other churches & monasteries- 56 Reviews, 173 Photos
- on the lake...- 23 Reviews, 59 Photos
- samuil fortress- 29 Reviews, 81 Photos
- st. jovan kaneo- 19 Reviews, 51 Photos
- st. sophia- 24 Reviews, 66 Photos
- old town & architecture- 28 Reviews, 60 Photos
- amphitheater- 19 Reviews, 42 Photos
- st. naum- 16 Reviews, 41 Photos
- st. climent- 13 Reviews, 35 Photos
- plaoshnik- 14 Reviews, 40 Photos
See All Ohrid Things to Do