"The wonderful city of Iasi" Top 5 Page for this destination Iasi by igabrielle

Iasi Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 170 photos

My home town

Iasi is the city I was born, and I have lived here ever since I was a baby, with few exceptions, when I travelled outside Romania and settled for a short time in Boston MA.

The way I see Iasi is probably how anyone views their home city. It is a young city, due to the fact we have a lot of Universities which make it a universitary center. It is the Romanian version of Rome, since it is placed on seven hills, and we actually even have a song about it, that we used to sing when little and taking day trips with school.

Comparing to other cities, Iasi it is very clean and very safe. I could go out at any hour of the night and not feel in any real danger.

The city has some wonderful restaurants, cool clubs and bars, and people are overall nice. We have 2 big Malls, and quite a few big supermarkets opened up this year.

If you feel like a movie, at the last floor of Moldova mall there is a new movie theatre which might do it, even if the selection of movies is not that great at times.

I know the city quite well, meaning I also know all the best places to see and those off the tourist track.

For me, it is a charming mix between the Ceausescu's buildings and the more old buildings with a classic renaissance style. If you are in the right neighborhood you might be amazed at the beauty of some of the old houses.

Anyway, lets move on... to a bit of history

General Information

It is the capital of Iasi county and is situated in North-Eastern Romania. The city itself has a population of 350.000 inhabitants and covers a surface of 9391, 36 hectares.
The climate is temperate continental, reaching temperatures over 35 degrees celsius in summer.
It is the second largest University Center in Romania.

A bit of History

The archeological diggings certify the existance of human settlements on today territory of Iasi since Paleolithic.
In 1408 we can find the first documentary attestation of the city.
In 1565 during the rulling of Alexandru Lapusneanu, it became the capital of the Moldavia region, being at that time an important economical, political and cultural center.
In 1859, Alexander John Cuza becomes the Prince of Moldovia, also unifying the principalities same year on january 24th. Iasi functioned as the capital of the United Principalities until 1862.
In 1860, Cuza founds at Iasi the first University in Romania.
During the WWI, the Royal Court, the Parliament and the Romanian Government withdrew from Bucharest to Iasi, and here it was where the first war meeting took place.

• Pros:Peaceful but yet Lively city, filled with young people
  • Cons:I will not say anything bad here :P
  • In a nutshell:Definitely worths a visit
  • Last visit to Iasi: Jul 2007
  • Intro Written Jul 12, 2007

• Phil39's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2007 at 4:01 PM

I loved reading about beautiful Iasi.When i visit in five days time i will remember to see many of the places you have mentioned. Thank you

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2007 at 11:58 AM

I would like to go to Bilius house and eat Surprise Rolls with egg plant and other magical things!

• mise007's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2007 at 9:38 AM

Bilius is a wonderful restaurant. Excellent attentive service, great food. For a romantic dinner it is perfect. Sage cafe is a place I have to visit. I heard some music from there and I want to experience it for myself.

• GenuinelyCurious's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2007 at 7:23 PM

Like the image of the Metropolitan

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2007 at 3:30 AM

Sounds lovelyl. Best of luck (~_~)

igabrielle Lives Here!

igabrielle

“Only two things are infinite in the world, the Universe and human stupidity, though I am not so sure about the Universe”

Badges & Stats in Iasi