"A Maven for The Americanos" Cancún by BruceDunning

Cancún Travel Guide: 1,964 reviews and 3,979 photos

Be Hard at the Cafe

After the latest trip we took in 1986, the landmark still exists and is forever popular with those tourists. Through mid 1970's to mid 1980's we visited Cancun twice and Cozumel once. The island now has 600,000 service people, form a handful 25 years ago. It is shaped like a 7 and the south is nicer and more peaceful, but water is rough. There now are 140 hotels and 24,000 rooms handling 4 millions tourists yearly. Hurricanes causes rebuild ever few years; the last was Wilma in 2005 nearly wiped it all off the map.
During my banking career, we forclosed on 2 hotels, one each in Cancun and Cozumel. It is difficult to get legal possession without strong guidance from local abbugados/attorneys for a large fee. There were problems wityh tourism in the early years; not enough of them.

Lovely pristine water

Beach activity is the most favored thing to do, while getting tan. Be careful not to get overtaken by the heavy undercurrents; they are treacherous. I came close to panic a couple of times and you lose it quickly when getting sucked out to sea.

• Pros:Lovely weather
  • Cons:Too many people, to tacky and overrated stop
  • In a nutshell:I believe back in the 1980's it was good, but can get sick
  • Intro Updated Jan 30, 2008

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2014 at 1:27 AM

Thank you Bruce for bringing back memory about this resort! Though in 1970-80th it wasn't so popular as it is nowadays I think. Happy New Year and all the best wishes from Moscow!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
      Jan 15, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Thanks you for the 2014 well wishes, and I also hope you, the family and dogs enjoy another year with fun and travel. I moved to the south in Alabama and been busy settling in, so VT is much less important now. Cancun would welcome you again. I nearly got swept away with the undercurrent and my daughter the same. It is dangerous ocean in areas around the city.

BruceDunning

“Our ultimate and final trip is to "City" in the clouds”

Badges & Stats in Cancún