"A Maven for The Americanos" Cancún by BruceDunning
Cancún Travel Guide: 1,964 reviews and 3,979 photos
After the latest trip we took in 1986, the landmark still exists and is forever popular with those tourists. Through mid 1970's to mid 1980's we visited Cancun twice and Cozumel once. The island now has 600,000 service people, form a handful 25 years ago. It is shaped like a 7 and the south is nicer and more peaceful, but water is rough. There now are 140 hotels and 24,000 rooms handling 4 millions tourists yearly. Hurricanes causes rebuild ever few years; the last was Wilma in 2005 nearly wiped it all off the map.
During my banking career, we forclosed on 2 hotels, one each in Cancun and Cozumel. It is difficult to get legal possession without strong guidance from local abbugados/attorneys for a large fee. There were problems wityh tourism in the early years; not enough of them.
Beach activity is the most favored thing to do, while getting tan. Be careful not to get overtaken by the heavy undercurrents; they are treacherous. I came close to panic a couple of times and you lose it quickly when getting sucked out to sea.
- Pros:Lovely weather
- Cons:Too many people, to tacky and overrated stop
- In a nutshell:I believe back in the 1980's it was good, but can get sick
There are over 340 restaurants around the island and all want your business. It surely takes a while to get seated... more travel advice
There are a lot of activities to do on the beach, including the arieal, snorkel, scuba, or build a sand castle. Toward... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Cancún Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paradise in the Carribean"
- "Spring Break 24/7/365"
- "Cancun Condo"
- "CANCUN ---PARADISE IN MEXICO"
- "Cancun, Mexico"
- "Cancun, Mexico"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cancún
- Hotels in Cancún
- Transportation in Cancún
- Nightlife in Cancún
- Restaurants in Cancún
- Shopping in Cancún
- Warnings and Dangers in Cancún
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cancún
- 7 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Cancún?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cancún
- Commented on one of BruceDunning's Cancún travel pages
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Wrote a Review If you are Weak and want a gift about Timeshare in Cancún Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Shop and Eat"
- updated a Cancún Travel Page "A Maven for The Americanos"
Photos in CancúnSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos