"An Island to see and Shop" Isla Cozumel by BruceDunning
Isla Cozumel Travel Guide: 583 reviews and 1,483 photos
The island is the third largest in Mexico; off the Yucatan coast and near Cancun. The island is 30 miles long by 10 miles wide, and 12 miles off the mainland coast. They have preserved nature vegetation in the east section. It first was used as a mecca by Mayan Indians who came here to worship the fertility goddess; Ix Chel, nearly 2,000 years ago, and became a famed placed for worshippers to travel hundreds of miles from inland. The island was discovered by Don Grijalva in 1518. Over the years, Mayans were enslaved and Spanish searched for gold and silver. The real travesty is that of the 40,000 indigenous Indians living there, only 40 survived after smallpox plague. They did rebel against the tyranny in 1848, but the fight was suppressed.
Today those items plus diamonds are in the shops. Cruise ships drop off here and thousands converge in town to shop.
Scenery is the splendor of the island, but also scuba diving and snorkeling made it famous 50 years ago, with Jacques Cousteau declaring its beauty. The coral is one of the better around, and many species of fish. There are still over a dozen main reefs for scuba. Boating, fishing, air gliding, and other sport activities are available, besides tours inland to see the vegetation.
The island vegetation, coral reefs, and some buildings were destroyed in 2005 from two hurricanes. Rebuilding began immediately and tourism again became the top goal, ready in a few months with new shops. Carnival pier was not completed until November, 2008
This is the main street, and shopping runs about 2 miles end to end, filled with shops of all types. The major tourism shops are on this main street, while the locals have "secondary shops one/two blocks off this. In summer is surely would get crowded with people and taxis.
There are 2 million tourists coming here annually, and that is not chump change. Many dollars are passed on for purchases. For well over a century pirates ruled form here, and visitations by Indians and others died back, so to speak. A first hotel was built for tourists in 1920's, but that flagged due to economic depression, and did not revive until 1950's
- Pros:A nice place to walk and shop for goods
- Cons:Too commercialized, and the locals are agressive
- In a nutshell:It is a place to come once to say you have been there
You can take a carriage ride down the main street and probably around the town a bit. The embarkation point is on Avenue... more travel advice
They have been there longer than us, so the survival of all the tourism keeps them alive today. I last went to one in... more travel advice
- This is the Ultimate of Embarrassing
- See All Parking Can BE Maddening
- See All Scooters Are a Way Around
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Isla Cozumel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Coz: Going with the flow (of the Yucatan Current)"
- "ISLA COZUMEL"
- "Dive In"
- "Western Caribbean Cruise"
- "A nice day trip from Playa del Carmen"
- "An Island to see and Shop"
- "Snorkelling Paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla Cozumel
- Hotels in Isla Cozumel
- Transportation in Isla Cozumel
- Nightlife in Isla Cozumel
- Restaurants in Isla Cozumel
- Shopping in Isla Cozumel
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla Cozumel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla Cozumel
- 20 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Isla Cozumel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Cozumel
- updated a Isla Cozumel Travel Page "An Island to see and Shop"
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Commented on one of Dabs's Isla Cozumel travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mayan Ruins"
- Wrote a Review CAriage Ride for those tourists about Carriage Ride in Isla Cozumel Things to Do
Photos in Isla CozumelSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos