"Hidden Gems in the Outback" Natural Bridges National Monument by BruceDunning
Natural Bridges National Monument Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 118 photos
This area is not frequently traveled and that is good in my opinion. In fact it is a bit desolate on some of the back roads. Those roads also can raise havoc on a vehicle for driving down rough and rugged lanes.
Natural Bridges was fist a park in 1908. It was discovered by Cass Hite in 1883 while prospecting in the area.
This part of the territory has the most twisting and carved out canyon turns in the world. It is like being in another planet in seeing the works of the water. The actual happening to create this is the ground gradually rose up over millions of years and the river stayed the same but continued to carve a path through the new rock. That now has led to the deep canyons.
This is a State highway called UT261. This name derived from Mormons calling it after the name for Pueblo Indians-Moquies (Spanish word) We also call it Moki Dugway. The road has many switchbacks and turns hanging right at he edge of the cliffs. It ascends/descends 1200 feet in the trek for 3 miles on gravel graded section, with a steep 11% slope.
- Pros:Wonderful pristine sites not visited as much
- Cons:Long loop drive to get around end to end-90 miles
- In a nutshell:Many of the back roads are rough on a regular vehicle
Cattle and sheep are allowed to graze and there are not fences. So watch the road closely when going at 70 MPH. Stopping... more travel advice
Indian ruins are in the back of the museum building. Inside the building is the depiction of the evolution of the... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Natural Bridges National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hidden Gems in the Outback"
- "Natural Bridges"
- "Natural Bridges"
- "Natural Bridges N.P. and Newspaperrock"
- "Natural Bridges National Monument"
- "Bridges versus Arches"
- "NATURAL BRIDGES NATIONAL MONUMENT, UTAH"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Natural Bridges National Monument
- Hotels in Natural Bridges National Monument
- Transportation in Natural Bridges National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Natural Bridges National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Natural Bridges National Monument
- 20 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Natural Bridges National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Natural Bridges National Monument
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hidden Gems in the Outback"
- updated a Natural Bridges National Monument Travel Page "Hidden Gems in the Outback"
- Uploaded a Video to Natural Bridges National Monument
- Wrote a Review Open Range Grazing in Natural Bridges National Monument Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of Pavlik_NL's Natural Bridges National Monument travel pages
Photos in Natural Bridges National MonumentSee All Photos (85)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos