"A Nucleus of Activity Close to Here" Top 5 Page for this destination Moab by BruceDunning
Moab Travel Guide: 393 reviews and 997 photos
There are a number of parks close to Moab, and it is the east focal point into the Utah painted desert region. Besides Arches and Canyonlands Parks within 10 miles of town, there is also a number of sites along Hwy 191, the main route through town. The West is large and wide open, so you may not think much about driving to Capitol Reef about 130 miles to the west-but no direct route to get there. To the East of town is the LaSal Mountain range; fabulous green and huge peaks stretching in the horizon. The top peaks in this range is 13,000 feet, and the range sprawls for miles in the skyline.
Moab Dilemma is having a moral conscience to the earth and nature versus pursuing an economic quest to get revenue to the town. The latter gained the foothold, and the environment is not what it once was around there. Many standard lower end/cheaper motels and restaurants prevail, and tourist trinkets.
Just to the west side of the town is a string of high mountain crests. The color changes during the day and this is form early morning with the sun bringing out the real red look of the rock. Activities are within walking distance of the main street to go up into the mountain range and do what please you, like hike, ride, or relax.
At one time there was a movement to carve a road out through the Book Cliffs from I-70 connecting Vernal and Moab. That dies out in 1992, It was said the program would ruin the terrain and nature to such a degree that is would be abominable.
Roadside marker of the town and its splendor to offer the visitor. The whole town is staged for tourism, and I do not believe there is a real industry, per se to rely on. So, it must get a bit slow in the winter months, where the wind blows hard out here and is does get cold and snow in higher elevations. Access is off US 70 from the north, or take Hwy 191 that comes form south and connects with many Arizona sites down that way.
They have 1 million visitors a year, so offer nearly everything you would wan to do for recreation. The town was settled in 1855. It grew during the uranium mining around the area in 1960's, but that dies out in 1980's. Charles Steen mined the first urnanium and hit it big. He built a large home on a bluff just north of town. Tourism took over in 1970's, and it is a majority of why Moab exists today.
- Pros:A lot to do in and around the town
- Cons:Too much promotion of ATV, motor bike and jeep trails
- In a nutshell:Go when tourism visitors are at a slower pace
I am not here to promote the theme of preserving the beauty of the West, and intrusion by developers, but believe all in... more travel advice
This arch is right on the highway, and easy to see if not going over 80MPH. It is close to Hwy 46 turnoff, to the south... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Moab Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Nucleus of Activity Close to Here"
- "Where adventure Begins"
- "Red Rock, Slick Rock, Arches and Canyons"
- "Off Road Mecca"
- "3 Days in Moab"
- "Moab, UT - Nature at Its Best!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moab
- Hotels in Moab
- Transportation in Moab
- Nightlife in Moab
- Restaurants in Moab
- Shopping in Moab
- Warnings and Dangers in Moab
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moab
- 45 Reviews
- 148 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Moab?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moab
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Commented on one of rebibi's Moab travel pages
- updated a Moab Travel Page "A Nucleus of Activity Close to Here"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Nucleus of Activity Close to Here"
- Wrote a Review Canyon County Zephyr Environmental Paper in Moab Local Customs
Photos in MoabSee All Photos (148)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos