"Town at the Axis of Parks" Top 5 Page for this destination Kanab by BruceDunning
Kanab Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 222 photos
This town of 3600 people is staged to serve the tourism that comes through and around the area to see the national parks. It is as close as you can get to Grand Canyon North at 85 miles, Zion about 45 miles west and Bryce around 85 miles. To the east is Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness area and that is a prelude to Page and Glen Canyon Dam. They are 90 miles away. Kanab, itself used to be a movie center for some cowboy flicks. They still live in that fame today. It used to be called Little Hollywood.
The town got its start in 1857 by Mormon John Hamblin who was sent here to start a settlement. The name is from the Indians, meaning "willow". They converted some Indians into the religion. In 1870 more Mormons came her to set up living and farming. Grasshoppers played havoc over some years, and the desert climate ever changing.
This is a quasi topo map of the parks in the radius of Kanab town.
This Sign just outside of town may have depicted the attitude and living style of the locals. It is counter to the Mormon influence around the State, but not all are Mormons here, for sure.
- Pros:Wonderful friendly people cater the tourists.
- Cons:Remote form evrything else-but that is Utah-big
- In a nutshell:A nice place to rest up a bit, get gas, food and go on
This is a large complex off Hwy 89 north of Kanab about 5 miles. A turn off and going down a side road take you to the... more travel advice
The Hopi interpretation for the name is "dead" in their language. This is a gift store and museum type store about 6... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Kanab Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Town at the Axis of Parks"
- "A Coral Pink Sand Dune Déjà Vu"
- "Trouble In North Coyote Buttes"
- "The Waves and other great sceneries"
- "Coral Pink Sand Dunes"
- "Kanab and the surrounding area"
- "CORAL PINK SAND DUNES"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kanab
- Hotels in Kanab
- Transportation in Kanab
- Nightlife in Kanab
- Restaurants in Kanab
- Shopping in Kanab
- Warnings and Dangers in Kanab
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kanab
- 18 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Kanab?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kanab
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Vermilion Cliffs"
- Uploaded a Video to Kanab
- updated a Kanab Travel Page "Town at the Axis of Parks"
- Wrote a Review Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab Things to Do
- Commented on one of filipdebont's Kanab travel pages
Photos in KanabSee All Photos (69)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (50)
Latest Kanab hotel reviews
- Kanab Mission Inn
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Treasure Trail Motel
- 149 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 17, 2013
- Quail Park Lodge
- 787 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Parry Lodge
- 159 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Kanab
- 318 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Clarion Coll Victorian Charm In
- 159 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013