"Out There Where NO Place IS Close" Green River by BruceDunning
Green River Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 106 photos
This town is one a few along US 70 going through Utah in the area. Only one other of size to mention, Thompson Springs may have some services-like gas. That is it for 70+ miles to the east. To the west, there is a warning no more services for 75 miles-of any kind.
The river usually flows at 20,00 per minute and it starts in the White Mountains, Colorado. Now it is flowing at 4,000 gallons a minute due to little rain this season. John Wesley Powell was famed for a 3 month trip down the Green River and onto Colorado ending in Lake Meade. In 1825 an unknown named Ashley did the same, but got no fame.
The town was used for missile testing back in 1960's. They were fired from the town out to sand area about 6-10 miles away. The townfolk complained of the danger and noise and after some years it disbanded the test site.
The town is small; about 500 people is my estimate. All are employed in retail of some sort but come do pick and grow fruits. They have irrigation around the river area for growing some crops.
The town was originally a part of the SAnta Fe Trail 1800-1850. Mule trains used to come out of SAnta Fe and head north on the way to Los Angeles in order to avoid the Indians that would raid and attack wagons. The railroad came through here in 1850's, and they built some elegant places to stay. The Palmer House was for VIP's of the rail line and visitors going places, and a quick stop here to rest. The Metropole Hotel was another one famed hotel; now Midland building on Broadway.
Not yet explored as much as other areas is this region that covers hundreds of square miles. It is called swell because of the earth movement 70 million years ago when it raised up the ground and created rocks and ridges and formations from pressure. The layers of rock upheaveled to form these reefs and crests today. The colors are gray, orange, green and purple. I ventured into some spots that scared the daylites out of me if something happened out the vehicle of my hiking treks.
- Pros:Serene and filled with Solitude to Venture
- Cons:Desolate and not Much Around Except the town & desert
- In a nutshell:A nice place to stay the see the sites without tourists
This was thought to be one of those ventures to see what the end of a road looked like. It was dry form some time, so... more travel advice
There is a distance of about 75 miles heading east to next town of Grand Junction Colorado, and 110 miles going west... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Green River Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Out There Where NO Place IS Close"
- "My Slow Ride on the Green River"
- "More than a gas stop"
- "Often Overlooked Do Not Miss It"
- "Green_River's Helpful info"
- "Green River"
- "San Rafael Swell"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Green River
- Hotels in Green River
- Transportation in Green River
- Restaurants in Green River
- Warnings and Dangers in Green River
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Green River
- 18 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Green River?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Green River
- Commented on one of RoscoeGregg's Green River travel pages
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Wrote a Review Tusher Wash in Green River Things to Do
- updated a Green River Travel Page "Out There Where NO Place IS Close"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Out There Where NO Place IS Close"
Photos in Green RiverSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos