"Escalante is in an Enormous Wide Open Territory." Top 5 Page for this destination Escalante by BruceDunning
Escalante Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 110 photos
Escalante is right in the middle of the huge Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument. It is on Hwy 12, a very scenic route. The town was called potato VAlley from wild vegetables growing around the area. Later it changed to this name to commemorate the Spanish explorer who came through here in 1776, with Dominguez.
The Staircase area was dedicated to be a national protected site in 1996. It covers 1.7 million acres, or that equals 2,656 square miles. The boundaries are on the north Hwy 12 Scenic Highway, and Hwy 89 at the south. Getting around the protected area would take a drive of around 250 miles if you use the main paved highways. There are four roads that go through the area, but none are paved, and barely maintained. These roads used to be a shortcut between north/south for locals. The Bureau of Land Management will not, and do not maintain much of them now; purposely
The town is in the center of many sites around here, and one of the few to stop for about 40 miles each way. So, if you want to do things in the national monument, this is the place to rest and eat.
Even though many roads a rough, to say the least, they still are one quicker method to go north/south through the Staircase wilderness. Most locals have 4WD and rattling vehicles form the bumps and grinds over the years. They do like to adventure of going out in the areas where few ever tread.
- Pros:A good stop point to enjoy the surrounding landscapes
- Cons:Not a lot of choices to eat/sleep
- In a nutshell:The town is small but has the amenties you need
This place I stopped late at night was more than interesting. Keven Peterson owns Tribal Sounds, and makes Indian... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Escalante Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Life at the End of the Road"
- "A Quiet Little Town"
- "Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument"
- "Escalante is in an Enormous Wide Open Territory."
- "Escalante In the Grand Staircase"
- "gtmwander's Escalante Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Escalante
- Hotels in Escalante
- Transportation in Escalante
- Restaurants in Escalante
- Shopping in Escalante
- Warnings and Dangers in Escalante
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Escalante
- 3 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Escalante?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Escalante
- updated a Escalante Travel Page "Escalante is in an Enormous Wide Open Territory."
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Escalante is in an Enormous Wide Open Territory."
- Wrote a Review Watch Local Artists at Work in Escalante Things to Do
- Commented on one of Toughluck's Escalante travel pages
Photos in EscalanteSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos