"An Eclectic Mix of Rock Formations" Top 5 Page for this destination Capitol Reef National Park by BruceDunning
Capitol Reef National Park Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 454 photos
The park has a variety of rock formations that are distinctly unique from each other depending on the area you are in. A lot is the sedimentary rock for its loose layers of different colored rocks that are eroding. This park combines rock you would find in Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands to name a few for each of their distinct rocks and formations. The iron oxide caused the brown and red rock, and white is from limestone.
A large section of the park is called Waterpocket Fold, because one side has risen and the other still flat. This is called that name because so much of the park is in a preserved area, and the fold is a long narrow valley that goes for 100 miles. The total park length is about 125 miles. The park has nearly 250,000 acres
The certain areas in the north part of the park is sandstone that is eroding. It was once desert sand. It is called Navajo formation, and over 1500 feet thick in certain areas.
The park is called Capitol because of the white domes of the Navajo sandstone looking like domes of buildings, and the reef name from the sheer walls that stop/slow up a person's difficulty to travel over or through them
The reddish brown rock is called shale, and it is in certain areas of the park. It was formed by silt/clay that ended up in lagoons that eventually rose up out of the ground form the Colorado Plateau upheaval-more than twenty plus years ago-like in millions actually
- Pros:Wonderful views of differnt scenery all in one place
- Cons:Too many people/tourists congregating in the middle areas
- In a nutshell:A great place to see the varying wonders of Nature
There are open fence area all around here. So be aware of the deer and cattle that may stroll across the highway. more travel advice
It is advisable to have the right attire to hike and even walk around. A good brim hat, and cover for the arms, even... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Capitol Reef National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Capitol Reef Pie Companion"
- "The Big Wrinkle"
- "An Eclectic Mix of Rock Formations"
- "Can You Keep A Secret?"
- "Basaic Capitol Reef National Park Page"
- "Capitol Reef National Park"
- "A great lesser known park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Capitol Reef National Park
- Hotels in Capitol Reef National Park
- Transportation in Capitol Reef National Park
- Restaurants in Capitol Reef National Park
- Shopping in Capitol Reef National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Capitol Reef National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Capitol Reef National Park
- 25 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Capitol Reef National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Capitol Reef National Park
- Commented on one of BruceDunning's Capitol Reef National Park tips
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Wrote a Review Deer-Animals on Road in Capitol Reef National Park Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "VArying mountains along Hwy 24"
- updated a Capitol Reef National Park Travel Page "An Eclectic Mix of Rock Formations"
- Uploaded a Video to Capitol Reef National Park
Photos in Capitol Reef National ParkSee All Photos (78)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos