"Large Park Spread Over Miles" Top 5 Page for this destination Canyonlands National Park by BruceDunning
Canyonlands National Park Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 476 photos
The creation of this area started 350 million years ago. It was a basin next to 30,000 feet high mountain range, and was part of a large sea. In the last 10 million years there has been a reduction in the vertical rock of one mile high. It was swept away by the Green and Colorado rivers rushing through here. Paleo Indians are known to have lived here 13,000 years ago. By 1000BC and through 1100AD they famed and raised corn crop, and hunted.
In 1836 fur trapper Don Julian came here and discovered the magnificent formations of rock. From 1860-1871 when John Wesley Powell tried to find the route of the rivers, there still were not inhabitants. In 1880's cattle ranching started. IN 1950-60's there were miners coming here for finding uranium. Finallyu, in 1964 it was dedicated as a park.
This is the northerly section of the park and it has a lot of different landscape and rock formations than those down south at Needles. It is 36 miles northwest of Moab and splits off Hwy 313 directly to the park after 25 miles form Hwy 191 turnoff. Bates Wilson was the first superintendent of the park back in 1950's and pushed for it becoming a park. It finally became a park in 1964 by declaration and efforts form Udall. The section has the Green and Colorado rivers converging down from here, so it is more green than Needles.
The park has 337,598 acres
This section of the park is about 80 miles to Moab and 32 miles from Monticello to turn off Hwy 191 to Hwy 211 to the park. In 1880's to 1970's ranchers used the lands for free range cattle grazing. In the 1950's there was an influx of people digging and hunting for uranium since it was found around Moab area. There are 46 miles of road in the Island park, and 17 miles in Needles district, and many dirt/gravel back roads, especially in adjacent Maze District
- Pros:A lot of sites with variety landscapes to see and hike
- Cons:Some areas have too many tourists congregating
- In a nutshell:It is a long distance between the two entry points
Be cautious when going at that fast rate of speed down the highway. There are cattle grazing alongside the roads. No... more travel advice
This regional area and a lot of others in the desert of the Utah dry country has this type soil. It is good for the... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Canyonlands National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of the Canyons"
- "Kimberlyann's Canyonlands National Park, Utah"
- "Basaic Canyonlands National Park Page"
- "Large Park Spread Over Miles"
- "Canyonlands, Island in the Sky District"
- "The Watermelon Settlement: Canyonlands"
- "Canyonlands - Remote, Tough, and Beautiful"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canyonlands National Park
- Hotels in Canyonlands National Park
- Transportation in Canyonlands National Park
- Restaurants in Canyonlands National Park
- Shopping in Canyonlands National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Canyonlands National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canyonlands National Park
- 15 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Canyonlands National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canyonlands National Park
- Commented on one of BruceDunning's Canyonlands National Park travel pages
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Uploaded a Video to Canyonlands National Park
- updated a Canyonlands National Park Travel Page "Large Park Spread Over Miles"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Large Park Spread Over Miles"
- Wrote a Review Open Range Grazing in Canyonlands National Park Local Customs
Photos in Canyonlands National ParkSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (50)
Latest Canyonlands National Park hotel reviews
- Squaw Flat Campground
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 24, 2013