"Hoodoo's-NOt Boo Hoo's" Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park by BruceDunning
Bryce Canyon National Park Travel Guide: 588 reviews and 1,512 photos
The location of Bryce is in the central part of southern Utah. It is a fascinating park because it has none other to match the rock formations for the unique aspect of the Hoodoo's, but also the color variety. Well, maybe Red Canyon next door is similar-take a look. Also there is the known Cappadocia for another. Hwy 12 is the main road going by Bryce, and it,in itself, has a lot of sites along the way in Escalante region.
The park got its beginning to become a park in 1928. Ebenezer Bryce was grazing cattle in the area in 1875. He had to herd the cattle out of the valley where the Hoodoo's are found. In 1919, Reuben Syrett started a tourists operation and built accommodations for people to stay. By 1923, Warren Harding ws convinced to make the place a national monument.
The layout of the park is one road off Hwy 12. It goes for 18 miles to the south end from Visitor Center. It follows the rim of the mountain range, so the views are continuing. There are also 50 miles of hiking trails, not that I took more than 9 miles-that was a long day and exhausting for me. There are 11 primary overlooks, and they have a variety of different landscapes and rock colors/formations. The central focus is the amphitheater where the valley floor is filled, so to speak, with Hoo Doo's. The highest point if Ponderosa Point at 8815 feet.
A Hoodoo is a rock formation that comes from the ground floor that is a drainage basin. Over years this soft sedimentary rock is the only thing left standing, because the top layer is harder rock that did not erode as quickly. It, therefore protects the under rock layer. These towering monuments can be from 1- feet to 100 feet tall. The spindly rock towers continue to erode as ice/rain pound away at the soft layers. Indians thought the strange formed rocks were sacred people that were there in real life to worship and revere.
- Pros:The sites and hiking trails are wonderful
- Cons:Long way form one end to the other
- In a nutshell:Most unique rock formations not seen many palces on earth
My viewpoint, and a good one is this is all too much for the normal tourists. There are so many items to choose from,... more travel advice
This semi arid desert climate will take the moisture out of your body and make the skin dry and could crack, plus the... more travel advice
- Cattle Grazing
- See All Red Canyon-Hike Ledge Point Trail
- Special Eco Sysytems are Fragile
- See All Campers-You CAn Take It With You
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Bryce Canyon National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of Hoodoos and Queens"
- "Bryce Canyon – magic encounters with artist Earth"
- "Don't Think Thrice, Bryce is All Right!"
- "Hoodoo's-NOt Boo Hoo's"
- "Colourful and Weird Hoodoos at Bryce"
- "Bryce Canyon National Park"
- "Roundtrip USA : part 16 Bryce Canyon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Hotels in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Transportation in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Nightlife in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Restaurants in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Shopping in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Bryce Canyon National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bryce Canyon National Park
- 39 Reviews
- 133 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Bryce Canyon National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Wrote a Review Ruby's Complex in Bryce Canyon National Park Tourist Traps
- updated a Bryce Canyon National Park Travel Page "Hoodoo's-NOt Boo Hoo's"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Protect Your Self from Weather"
- Commented on one of mikelisaanna's Bryce Canyon National Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Bryce Canyon National Park
Photos in Bryce Canyon National ParkSee All Photos (133)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos