"A Town Reborn" Top 5 Page for this destination Chattanooga by BruceDunning
Chattanooga Travel Guide: 350 reviews and 792 photos
Choo Choo for the ambiance of it all. This is at the old railway station, renovated and preserved. Linked with the Choo Choo theme since the terminal was built in 1908, it was renovated in 1973 as part of a hotel complex and convention center. It is connected with the Holiday Inn hotel, and you can even stay in a RR car converted into a room. The depot is also inside the hotel. The overall park has 24 acres of grounds, and is said to be the 3rd largest tourist attraction in Tennessee. A dedicated group also put together a large minature railroad for display that is 174 feet long. Somewhere around
Town center was revamped with statues and avenues to walk around the river front. This town used to be a poster presentation of smog, filth and dingy. I have ridden through there when you had a bit of a time seeing the city layout next to the road. An old steel mill was alongside the river and guess what pollutants must have gone there. They tore down a number of buildings, and worked on bringing the downtown back with the aquarium and water front and Bluff Art street. Hopefully it works.
The 1 million SF aquarium was added in 1992 and IMAX later in 1996. Along with that came a convention center of 298,000 SF. Nearly one half of the town center looks to have be torn down with not all rebuilt yet. A cost of $120 million investment at the waterfront hopes to payoff.
- Pros:Quiet city where you can take your time to see sites
- Cons:A fair section of the city is still feeling it needs renovating
- In a nutshell:Not a lot to do here unless go the aquarium or Lookout Mtn
You can get a city pass for a number of sites combined. The Lookout Mountain pass is $43.95 to take in the Ruby Falls,... more travel advice
The way of life in this area is pretty much laid back. It is a town of 170,000, and very much spread out along Hwy 75,... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Chattanooga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chattanooga-A Great City"
- "chattanooga tennessee"
- "A Town Reborn"
- "Chattanooga Tennessee"
- "Chattanooga, Tennessee: A City Reborn"
- "Chattanooga aka "ChattaNEWga": Better and Better"
- "Chattanooga - Smaller Metro, but lots to do!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chattanooga
- Hotels in Chattanooga
- Transportation in Chattanooga
- Nightlife in Chattanooga
- Restaurants in Chattanooga
- Shopping in Chattanooga
- Warnings and Dangers in Chattanooga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chattanooga
- 23 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Chattanooga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chattanooga
Photos in ChattanoogaSee All Photos (89)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos