"Ever Expanding" Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque by BruceDunning
Albuquerque Travel Guide: 773 reviews and 1,599 photos
The establishment of the area by the "Empires of Europe" began with Spain coming to this area to find minerals and convert Indians to Christianity. In early 1500's, they migrated into what is now Mexico and established settlements. The furthest outposts were in ABQ/SAnta Fe areas. Citizens were offered land grants if they would settle and farm or raise cattle. Many did not make it well in the new country, but were unable to turn back, so had to tough it out. They got protection from soldiers, but also had to create their own militia to defend their homesteads.
Navajo Indian pueblos are all around the area, with maybe 20+ tribe factions settled on the land that is their reservation designated for them after the migration of the white people coming west. They learned to try and live off the land, but also needed much subsistence over the years, and it continues. Kivas were used for tribal ceremonies and meetings of the people for important events and decisions regarding the settlement, or punishments for violators of culture issues.
The mountain range stretches about 20 miles on the east side of the city. Not much development has taken place into the mountains, but to say the least, it abuts right to the foothills and surrounds the beauty of the mountains. The range is rugged in many places, and also approachable in other areas.
- Pros:Scenery around the city is worth viewing
- Cons:Windy and traffic jams are too much to baer
- In a nutshell:Large and expansive with too much traffic
This is a fabulous drive about 5 miles down Hwy 485 which splits off Hwy 4 near the Jemez visitor center. The views are... more travel advice
The Ojito Wilderness has about 30 miles of bike trails that run on the top of the mesas for the most part. if you fall,... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Albuquerque Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of our 50 is missing ......"
- "Albuquerque - Where I Live and What to See and Do"
- "Ever Expanding"
- "Albuquerque, New Mexico"
- "Albuquerque - It's a great place!"
- "Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta-Festival Extraordinaire"
- "A place to celebrate"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Albuquerque
- Hotels in Albuquerque
- Transportation in Albuquerque
- Nightlife in Albuquerque
- Restaurants in Albuquerque
- Shopping in Albuquerque
- Warnings and Dangers in Albuquerque
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Albuquerque
- 45 Reviews
- 131 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Albuquerque?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Albuquerque
- updated a Albuquerque Travel Page "Ever Expanding"
- Commented on one of Roadquill's Albuquerque travel pages
- Wrote a Review Gillman Tunnels in Albuquerque Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Gillman Tunnels"
- Uploaded a Video to Albuquerque
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
Photos in AlbuquerqueSee All Photos (131)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos