"More Behind the sign" Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth by BruceDunning
Portsmouth Travel Guide: 283 reviews and 1,384 photos
With a current day population of 21,000, this medium sized town is rather quaint and easy to manuever around to see the sites. There is also shopping in entrepreneurial specialties, and the walking to see first hand the wonderful buildings and preservation is the key item of why you are here, I hope. It has been said this town is the 3rd oldest, and has been a prime seaport for years, starting arounf 1640's. They also were a large shipbuilding port for a century, or so
The bay is the -anchor,so to speak of the town. It had been an active seaport and ship building town until the demand from mill towns wained and the fish were depleted. Situated on the Piscataqua River helped move goods to the port. The town carried on with a Navy yard close by in Kittery and took some time, but converted to, of all things a tourist town.
The variety of the style of homes impressed me, as well as the great preservation that the town and its people did to keep the community looking as if it came back from the mid 1700-1800's.
- Pros:Many fine homes to tour and buildings plus shopping
- Cons:Not too much I can recite as dislikes-maybe tourists
- In a nutshell:This is a nice town that has gone into renovation to peak
The river is very quanit and deceivingly, it is the third swiftest river in the country (I was told). The Bridges are... more travel advice
There are numerous buildings and structures that depict the times, and are well preserved. Throughout the town, they... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Portsmouth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Nice Waterside Town"
- "More Behind the sign"
- "LOVELY PORTSMOUTH - HISTORIC SEAPORT TOWN"
- "Home of the September 21-23 VT Meeting!"
- "New Hampshire seacoast VT meet :)"
- "Portsmouth VT meeting September 21-23, 2007"
- "Portsmouth - On the (What?) River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portsmouth
- Hotels in Portsmouth
- Transportation in Portsmouth
- Nightlife in Portsmouth
- Restaurants in Portsmouth
- Shopping in Portsmouth
- Warnings and Dangers in Portsmouth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Portsmouth
- 42 Reviews
- 156 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Portsmouth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portsmouth
Photos in PortsmouthSee All Photos (156)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos