"The Symbols of the City" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Louis by BruceDunning
Saint Louis Travel Guide: 1,144 reviews and 2,006 photos
St. Louis is a wonderful city that has a lot of cultural things to do and see. Obviously, the arch is one of the main points of interest. Forest Park is another with a mix of a park, museum, arboretum.
I first drove by this under construction in 1965, it struck me as strange that this was built and why. At 630 feet, it was the Gateway to the West, but why. NOw I know, tourists. Built for $13 million; cheap now, it is 17,000 pounds and the tram takes 1 million passengers to the top yearly. A museum underground is very good and a film shows the building.
There is a place set aside by the Busch's to allow normal people to visit and enjoy the old family compound and the grounds around it. This now is one big event and thousands come yearly to see the animals and participate in activities and have some beer samples, The tram takes people around to drop off points and then pick up again to get to the next spot.
The horses are also on the premises here
The Buschs' have kept the south of the city vibrant with its first and main plant situated here and tours are a joy partake. The family has given a lot to the city and continue that legacy. It also helps promote that known product name
- Pros:Many eclectic sites to see
- Cons:Long distance between things in the city
- In a nutshell:The city is vibrant for its culture-a lot to take in
This church is a monument to the Jesuit background of the university and still in use after 125 years. more travel advice
This is located off Shaw Blvd, just south of Hwy 40/64 and Forest Park in the Tower Grove area. It is a nice visit, but... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Saint Louis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Louis Has Many Surprises, for Everyone!"
- "The Symbols of the City"
- ""Meet Me In St. Louis" is Not Just a Song Title"
- "Saint Louis"
- "My Home Town"
- "The Gateway to East Central Missouri"
- "St. Louiis - Gateway to the Wild Wild West"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Louis
- Hotels in Saint Louis
- Transportation in Saint Louis
- Nightlife in Saint Louis
- Restaurants in Saint Louis
- Shopping in Saint Louis
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Louis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Louis
- 45 Reviews
- 160 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Saint Louis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Louis
- Commented on one of BruceDunning's Saint Louis tips
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "James S. McDonnell Planetrium-Science Center"
- Wrote a Review St. Francis Xavier Church at SL Univ in Saint Louis Things to Do
- updated a Saint Louis Travel Page "The Symbols of the City"
Photos in Saint LouisSee All Photos (160)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos