"A Lot of Hidden Treasures" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Joseph by BruceDunning
Saint Joseph Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 123 photos
It thrived as taking off place for settlers heading west, this was a main supply of provisions to tide them over until they found other sources outside in the wilderness area. Before that in 1821, Joe Robidous set up a trading post to trade with Indians. IN 1851, it became a designated town. During the Civil War there was a lot of strife due to the conflicting attitudes of the people of for/against slavery. By mid 1880's it had 60,000 residents and the largest stockyards west of Chicago. That smell took off into money with meat packing. Decline in about WWI continued to this day, and the downtown is not the same in spite of trying to revive it.
A wonderful old church that is now closed due to lack of funds from the Diocese of Sisters of St. Joseph, who could not keep up the church and sanctuary and nunnery housing them. The church today is from 1910, and was rebuilt for the third time with prior destroyed in wind in 1864, and torn down for rebuild in 1908.
Pony Express claim to fame here is all over. It only lasted 18 months, and disbanded in October 1861 due to the Civil War and travesty on the road, as well as the telegraph replaced communication to the west. Three men, Russel, Majors, and Waddell started the operation with $70,000 investment. They had no more than 250 employees at the peak and needed "way stations" all along the trail. Indian war with the Paiutes caused them to close for a while and cost $75,00 to repair damages.
- Pros:Nice old architecture remains in places around town
- Cons:The Immediate downtown is run down-"seedy"
- In a nutshell:See the primary museums and move on
Now used for plays and theater activities, this structure has a very unique front and tiles of many colors. It was built... more travel advice
There are still a number of nice homes that reflect the elegant lifestyle of old times when things were good-back in... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Saint Joseph Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Lot of Hidden Treasures"
- "As Wonderful as Our Forefathers Left It"
- "Saint Joseph, Missouri"
- "The Life and Times of St. Joseph, Missouri"
- "brdwtchr's new Saint Joseph Page"
- "St. Joseph"
- "SEPTEMBER 4 - 9, 1993"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Joseph
- Hotels in Saint Joseph
- Transportation in Saint Joseph
- Restaurants in Saint Joseph
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Joseph
- 12 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Saint Joseph?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Joseph
Photos in Saint JosephSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos