Parkville Things to Do Tips by BruceDunning
Parkville Things to Do: 6 reviews and 12 photos
Mackey Hall Administrative building-1893
It got the start back in 1875 form Colonel Park, the founder of Parkville town, and Dr. McAfee who started the College. They had 17 students to start, and they helped build the buildings of Mackey Hall and Scott Observatory in 1893-96. They had their own power plant and and underground facility for storage. The campus is unchanged and now has around 2,000 students.
Row of old style buildings.
There are around 20+ stores on the main drag in downtown, and most all are for retail selling of antiques, jewelry, knick knacks, retro furniture, and tourist type items. They are fun to walk through, but I am not much of a shopper so would in time sit down and wait.
Colonel Park started the town in 1838 with an expansion of the area in buying land going up the river bank. They thrived on shipping farming products until Civil War era. Abolitionist Park had a newspaper until they threw his press into the river. Decline followed and not until around 1960's did the town again try to revive.
More Reviews (1)
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Parkville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lovely Preserved Town"
- "Welcome to the Quaint Parkville, Missouri"
- "Parkville, Missouri"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parkville
- Nightlife in Parkville
- Restaurants in Parkville
- Shopping in Parkville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Parkville
- 3 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Parkville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parkville
Photos in ParkvilleSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos