"A Popular Place for family, drinkers and boats" Lake Ozark by BruceDunning
Lake Ozark Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 123 photos
This Ozarks Lake is one of the most populated lakes in the Midwest region now. It used to be for families in small cabins and close knit weekend trips. Now the second home buyers and the upper crust have demanded more. They now have condo units all over the place; an estimated 12,000 units on the lake. Some look like they will drop right into the water, they are so close. Boating is the in thing and many have very long and fast boats.
The lake has 1,150 miles of shoreline, one of the longest in the US. It has a dam to provide power to the mid Missouri region and beyond. This lake connects to other large lakes going on toward Kansas City. In total the lake is 95 miles long and goes through narrow gorges, and 650 feet deep near the dam. The lake covers 54,000 acres of water. It was built in 1926-29 to use as hyrdoelectric power, and dedicated August 6, 1929. The dam generates 172 kilowatts of power and serves a lot to St. Louis and Missouri state.
Luxury is the new wave down here. A typical condo ranges from $200-300,000 now for small 800 SF unit. The shopping is secondary to the boating and partying on the lake. It is known for the fast boats and drinking. Watch out if you are on a paddle boat, let alone a pontoon boat. A wave will roll you over. It nearly happened to us a couple of occasion and it is scary. Golfing is another activity that has many good courses. Old names in the community of resorts includes Four Seasons, and Tantara; both need some spiffing up to modernize and renovate.
Horney Toad complex is the newest in vogue resort and drinking place to see and bee seen. But that changes form time to time when the crowd ends up somewhere else. It is more up-scale, but well maintained. I was involved with the project when in banking til mid 2008.
There are a number of small inlets within the outskirts and away from the tourist areas that one can enjoy the Ozarks and also not be as concerned with the boats and noise. There are calmer areas in the lake, but you have to seek them out.
- Pros:A lot of wonderful sports to visit in the old days
- Cons:Too many new tourists coming and crowding area now
- In a nutshell:It used to be a nice quiet place, in the Bagnell Dam area
Many places in the Ozarks have families selling their wares and treasures; better know to some as "trash". This was a... more travel advice
There are less places to fish in the main part of the lake, but people still do find spots to enjoy and hopefully get a... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Lake Ozark Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Popular Place for family, drinkers and boats"
- "A Great Vacation Area"
- "Lake Ozark"
- "Lake of the Ozarks"
- "lngwyfromstl's new Lake Ozark Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lake Ozark
- Hotels in Lake Ozark
- Nightlife in Lake Ozark
- Restaurants in Lake Ozark
- Shopping in Lake Ozark
- Warnings and Dangers in Lake Ozark
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lake Ozark
- 29 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Lake Ozark?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake Ozark
- Wrote a Review Roadside Trash to Pick From in Lake Ozark Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Roadside Trash to Pick From"
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Commented on one of Sunshine64's Lake Ozark travel pages
- updated a Lake Ozark Travel Page "A Popular Place for family, drinkers and boats"
Photos in Lake OzarkSee All Photos (90)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos