"The Locks Make the Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Sault Ste. Marie by BruceDunning
Sault Ste. Marie Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 99 photos
The locks were built starting in 1700's by a Canadian fur company to manage the rough rapids. They were destroyed in War of 1812, and then others were built, but not substantial. Over they years since around 1870's, they expanded and others were added to meet the needs of the larger ships coming through the locks.
The lakes were treacherous for years and even in 1890 there were 1891 ships wrecks in the lakes, with 291 lives lost
This was built in 1968 by the Catholic Bishops that thought they would have a large complex for drawing people to its church and reverence. In 1980, they dedicated the site to the city which since has made it a tour mecca for the views of 1200 miles (they say) of the region. It is 210 feet high and a panorama of the city and locks.
- Pros:A Nice short trip to see the Locks and some tour sites
- Cons:Not many sites to see and without Fudge-what to do
- In a nutshell:It is an adventure to see the lock activity and buy some fudge
They have long lines coming back into the US form Canada, and it sits on the bridge. It looked like the trek may by a... more travel advice
It is the longest plant in US powered by a canal channel that stems off from the locks area. It was constructed in 1902... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Sault Ste. Marie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Locks Make the Town"
- "Hisotric Sault Ste. Marie"
- "Soo Soo"
- "The American Seaway Canal"
- "Vital link in the Great Lakes"
- "little NHL"
- "Sault Sainte Marie"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sault Ste. Marie
- Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
- Transportation in Sault Ste. Marie
- Restaurants in Sault Ste. Marie
- Warnings and Dangers in Sault Ste. Marie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sault Ste. Marie
- 8 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Sault Ste. Marie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sault Ste. Marie
Photos in Sault Ste. MarieSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos