"Witch Way do You Go" Top 5 Page for this destination Salem by BruceDunning
Salem Travel Guide: 456 reviews and 1,268 photos
Besides its reknowned fame as being a place to eliminate witches (only 16 were killed) it was a critical seaport for goods shipment. That lasted until about 1830-40's, and then that wained. The town was founded in 1630, the oldest in the area when Puritans tried to get out of the reach of King James I in England.
This depicts the popularity of witches and the history to present. There are museums, haunted houses and tours that can be taken. The witch hunt was only lasting a little time, and during then 16 women were killed. The tradition of the times was for people to believe in witch phenomomon and the ones tried were not doing their job, or were suspect of too much chacanery. They have a 3 week event drawing 150,00 people to to town to see the haunt.
Parks Service has control of the wharf and Freedom ship and some houses. The tour is worth the trip. They got control of the whole area in 1938 and renovated much of the houses.
- Pros:The history of the shipping and commerce was good
- Cons:The witch thing is too much and overplayed
- In a nutshell:Trying to draw tourists, they played on sessationilism
This is a house from 1760. It was home to Nathaniel Bowditch, a navigator who remapped a lot of the water of the world.... more travel advice
There are places where you can get on to a sailing ship for a tour of the bay. HOurs are usually 1 or 2 and costs may... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Salem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RhondaRuth's Salem Page"
- "Salem on Halloween!"
- "Salem Tales"
- "BEWITCHING SALEM"
- "Witch Way do You Go"
- "I FOUND MY TRUE WICCAN NATURE ON SALEM'S STREETS"
- "A favorite day trip....SALEM"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salem
- Hotels in Salem
- Transportation in Salem
- Nightlife in Salem
- Restaurants in Salem
- Shopping in Salem
- Warnings and Dangers in Salem
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salem
- 18 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Salem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salem
Photos in SalemSee All Photos (65)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos