"Boston Features the Old and New" Top 5 Page for this destination Boston by BruceDunning
Boston Travel Guide: 3,986 reviews and 8,902 photos
This map shows the spur of Boston and across the Charles River, Charlestown. It looks clustered with sites to see, and it is. Maps are well laid out so it is easy to find your way around the city. Boston is not only the nucleus for our freedoms being established, it also is famous for----
First Dunkin Donuts shop in 1950, or has had marathon runs since 1897, or first public library in 1895.
There are 16 sites on the trail that depicts the history of the Revolutionary War era and after. This is a great 2 1/2 mile walk, and may take about 3-4 hours. I found the 2 1/2 miles becomes much more than that if you wander off the trail and see the rest of the city, but it is worth the 9 miles I did each day for two days.
Boston got its name form the same name in England where the first settlers, Puritans came form in 1630.
This monument to freedom and organization to our history was the design of Charles Bulfinch, a reknowned architect of the time. He designed the new State House in 1787, and it was built between 1795-98. The initial portion was much smaller than what exists today.
It does symbolize the rights and freedoms of the US and numerous famous people and foundations to our society began here.
- Pros:Boston has a lot of history intermingled with the new
- Cons:Getting into the main part of the city is trying
- In a nutshell:Overall, a good job of preserving history for tours
The Navy still has activity on the docks by the USS CAssin Young and Constitution. It is blocked where you cannot get... more travel advice
With all the water surrounding nearly the whole of Boston, bridges are prevalent. Two on the north side are the Leonard... more travel advice
- Stay in the Suburbs
- See All Local Flare for Good FAre
- See All Get Tickets at one end or the Other
- See All The peninsula at the ocean
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Boston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BOSTON KALEIDOSCOPE AND ITS CAST OF COLORS…"
- "IF HOME IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS-THEN I LIVE HERE"
- "The Perfect Weekend Away City"
- "Boston in a Nutshell"
- "Boston Features the Old and New"
- "Boston, baby!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Boston
- Hotels in Boston
- Transportation in Boston
- Nightlife in Boston
- Restaurants in Boston
- Shopping in Boston
- Warnings and Dangers in Boston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Boston
- 62 Reviews
- 196 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Boston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Boston
- Commented on one of BruceDunning's Boston tips
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- updated a Boston Travel Page "Boston Features the Old and New"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stay in the Suburbs"
- Wrote a Review Dry Dock and Charles River about Charlestown Navy Yard in Boston Things to Do
Photos in BostonSee All Photos (196)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos