"Boston Features the Old and New" Top 5 Page for this destination Boston by BruceDunning

Boston Travel Guide: 3,800 reviews and 8,028 photos

Layout of the surrounding territory

This map shows the spur of Boston and across the Charles River, Charlestown. It looks clustered with sites to see, and it is. Maps are well laid out so it is easy to find your way around the city. Boston is not only the nucleus for our freedoms being established, it also is famous for----
First Dunkin Donuts shop in 1950, or has had marathon runs since 1897, or first public library in 1895.

Freedom Trail Takes you Through

There are 16 sites on the trail that depicts the history of the Revolutionary War era and after. This is a great 2 1/2 mile walk, and may take about 3-4 hours. I found the 2 1/2 miles becomes much more than that if you wander off the trail and see the rest of the city, but it is worth the 9 miles I did each day for two days.

State Capitol Has Class

Boston got its name form the same name in England where the first settlers, Puritans came form in 1630.
This monument to freedom and organization to our history was the design of Charles Bulfinch, a reknowned architect of the time. He designed the new State House in 1787, and it was built between 1795-98. The initial portion was much smaller than what exists today.
It does symbolize the rights and freedoms of the US and numerous famous people and foundations to our society began here.

• Pros:Boston has a lot of history intermingled with the new
  • Cons:Getting into the main part of the city is trying
  • In a nutshell:Overall, a good job of preserving history for tours
  • Last visit to Boston: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Jan 25, 2009

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Love the "reviews" on the new VT format, but find it hard to know how to send a comment. Cheers in Beacon Hill was a fun place and I did eat at the Bella Vista. Take care. Larry :-)

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Good tips - I have a potential conference here this year, so I'll definitely be spending a little time on my own...

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2010 at 5:44 AM

Interesting tip, Bruce. I have just read a book about the Salem witch trials- Mmmm strange stuff.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Great "Beantown" page..loads of interesting and important history here and its GREAT to see that many old buildings have been maintained and restored..I need to get down here sometime,its been on my list for a long time!

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Very helpful tips, dreamng of visitin Boston in the coming future.

• wroclawiak's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2009 at 11:24 PM

I will revisit your Boston pages in January shortly before my trip to USA in January. The Freedomtrail seems to be very interesting.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I enjoyed your Boston pages. It is such a great city, we've been many times.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2009 at 2:58 PM

This State Capitol looks awesome...you have done some awesome pages and very informative Boston pages here...no wonder it is top 5! Norman :)

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2009 at 6:17 AM

Guess everybody knows about "Cheers" now. :-) Hope you enjoyed your trip to "bean town".45 mi. from my house. You must have spent most of your time studying the maps! Complicated street plan, for sure.

• dengram's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Excellent pictures and tips Bruce Thank you !

BruceDunning

“Our ultimate and final trip is to "City" in the clouds”

Badges & Stats in Boston