"A Special town with Culture" Top 5 Page for this destination Baton Rouge by BruceDunning

Baton Rouge Travel Guide: 281 reviews and 568 photos

Louisiana Old State Capitol

Built in 1882 and just preserved like the old days. There is a special museum inside that houses many Civil War artifacts and other eclectic items. It looks like it is untouched for display for many years. The displays and artifacts/antique items are fabulous to view. Many have been in the cases since right after the Civil War the way they looked. These treasures would be hard to find anywhere else.

BAton Rouge has Ol' South Class

There is still a feel of old aristocracy of the south in the air. There may be cars going by with people on the way to work, but I get the impression that every chance they get, they take the time to enjoy their lifestyle here.

They Still Steam by

Tourists take steamship boats up/down the river to enjoy the view from the water vantage point. They do stop a places along the way to get the local flavor of the lifestyle. It is impressive to see one chugging by.

• Pros:A lot to see and tour in town and outlying area
  • Cons:Traffic congestion in downtown-converges in center
  • In a nutshell:I thoroughly enjoyed the stay here and viewed great things
  • Last visit to Baton Rouge: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Jun 11, 2009

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2013 at 2:54 AM

This looks like a very interesting area to visit. I wondered if this was where they filmed "Gone with the wind?" What enormous mansions here!

• kris-t's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Interesting Baton Rouge page... Thank you for visiting our pages and your kind comments Bruce! K&T

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Looks I have to make a jump to the Red Stick, if I visit the Old South one day; like a lot the old colonial places for their aesthetic and history (not for what they represent in social history!).

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2009 at 7:49 PM

I always liked the name of this city. Thanks for giving me a feeling and some images....now I really want to walk the streets of Baton Rouge.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Baton Rouge looks indeed like a special town! The Court-house is absolutely amazing!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2009 at 3:21 PM

So sad about Oak Alley; Rosedown Plantation sounds good; Greenwood looks lovely; courthouse pictures are lovely. USS Kid destroyer, I would love since my dad served on a destroyer in WWII in the Pacific!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2008 at 8:28 AM

I have always just driven through... looks like I may have to stop.

BruceDunning

“Our ultimate and final trip is to "City" in the clouds”

Badges & Stats in Baton Rouge

Have you been to Baton Rouge?