"Town in the middle of the US" Top 5 Page for this destination Manhattan by BruceDunning
Manhattan Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 214 photos
A university town with more to offer than just students and bars. This is a bedroom community also and is further tied to Fort Riley, only 10 miles to the west and nearly a linked suburb. This town epitomizes the Midwest college type town, and is a wonderful place to grow up the family if a job is available.
Back when the main section of the large structures were built, limestone was the choice due to access and durability over decades. The K State campus is only one a a number of buildings that are made of limestone, and they all look elegant and not deteriorating.
Located off US 70 to the north and Hwy 177 runs into town. The back way is to take over to Fort Riley on that named boulevard. The town was formed around 1850's when abolitionists came here to seek freedom for Kansas residents. It was most likely named after the big Apple of New York where investors funded the movement of these settlers to the west. Today it is called the "little Apple". in 1910, they had 7,000 people, and today is has grown to 50,000, and still expanding.
- Pros:A quite but flexible town for the family and students
- Cons:Do not show up during game time
- In a nutshell:This has a little of everything for everybody in town.
The meal was served very well and the employees try hard to please the customer. They have salads that range form $7-10,... more travel advice
There are hundreds of huge wind turbines in the fields to the west of Manhattan and the setting is awe inspiring. So... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Manhattan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Flint Hills...can light my FIRE!"
- "Town in the middle of the US"
- "Manhattan, Kansas - The Little Apple"
- "Purple Pride - Aggies on the Loose!"
- "brdwtchr's new Manhattan Page"
- "NEVER THOUGHT I'D GET HERE"
- "Manhattan- The Little Apple"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manhattan
- Hotels in Manhattan
- Transportation in Manhattan
- Nightlife in Manhattan
- Restaurants in Manhattan
- Shopping in Manhattan
- Warnings and Dangers in Manhattan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manhattan
- 13 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Manhattan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manhattan
Photos in ManhattanSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos