"Old Heritage Never Dies out" Lecompton by BruceDunning
Lecompton Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 40 photos
The town is only 600 residents, but it has two buildings with a lot of history. The Lane Museum and Constitution Hall are both open for viewing. They had created their own constitution for the territorial state in 1857. Kansas came into Statehood at beginning of Civil War as #34.
Wonderful sign of the proud eagle. The town was first called BAld Eagle after the eagle symbol.
The dems had control here at one time. They were pro slave, and this town was also. Lincoln was free slave-kind of. Due to politics, and Senator Lane antics, the capitol was moved to Topeka. Population dwindled form 5,000 to now 600. The old structures are mostly gone, but at one time this would have been a town with great recognition. The founder of Atchison Kansas was free slave and Senator, so his influence made things change for Lecompton.
- Pros:Nice pleasant people and proud of town history
- Cons:Not a place to stay overnite
- In a nutshell:Quick drive to place-stay and learn the proud history
Ms. Shirley Funk was legislature and territorial state of Kansas that then covered an area to the Rockies and was huge.... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Lecompton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LECOMPTON – THE STORM CLOUDS GATHER"
- "brdwtchr's new Lecompton Page"
- "Old Heritage Never Dies out"
- "Welcome to Lecompton, Kansas"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lecompton
- 2 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Lecompton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lecompton
Photos in LecomptonSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos