"A lot of Old Tradition Preserved" Leavenworth by BruceDunning
Leavenworth Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 66 photos
There are some great things to see and do here-like look over the fort itself. In the downtown section, there is a block plus long area that has been preserved and looks like the late 1800's. There is a museum and some old type stores to go through. The town is scattered with gingerbread type homes, and some kept up well; others not so much.
The US Federal prison has been a landmark for the area since around 1903. It houses about 2300 prisoners today.
Also when the first Disciplinary BArracks was constructed inside the fort around 1921, it held troubled military persons. It used to be called the "Castle" or Little down top, and was built with military labor that also built the US Fed prison. That now is a restaurant and admin center. The monument is on Metropolitan Rd and used to house 440 prisoners of the military. Guards are also all military. A new prison was built in 1976
One of the first designated cemeteries during the Civil War. It was dedicated by Abraham Lincoln, and now has 12,000 grave stones dating back to then until current day. It is a somber moment to reflect on these lives that were given to keep us free
- Pros:Downtown is trying for a revival of sorts-may work out?
- Cons:Not much to do after seeing one mansion open to tour
- In a nutshell:Some good attractions to visit-but slim places of interest
This is quite a large museum that holds a lot of old military items such as cannon, weapons of all kinds, military... more travel advice
This was built over a period of 25 years, but labor from the military prison at Ft. Leavenworth. Completion was in 1903,... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Leavenworth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A lot of Old Tradition Preserved"
- "Fort Leavenworth, Kansas....Not just a Prison"
- "Kansas' First City"
- "Leavenworth Page (Heaven's Worth)"
- "LEAVENWORTH, KANSAS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Leavenworth
- Nightlife in Leavenworth
- Restaurants in Leavenworth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Leavenworth
- 5 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Leavenworth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leavenworth
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- updated a Leavenworth Travel Page "A lot of Old Tradition Preserved"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A lot of Old Tradition Preserved"
- Wrote a Review Ft. Leavenworth Frontier Army Museum in Leavenworth Things to Do
- Commented on one of sargentjeff's Leavenworth travel pages
Photos in LeavenworthSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos