"The history of fighting on the plains started here" Junction City by BruceDunning
Junction City Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 52 photos
The city is anchored next to the fort; Fort Riley. The town is strip is nice, but also a place for military to shop and live. That is not a problem, but the heritage mostly is on the fort, where a museum is housed. The town has some preserved old structures, but the strip is getting more commercialized all the time.
The famed 7th Cavalry was stationed here, and Custer was part of that. Since the 1st Division, and modern day cavalry rule the fort. I was here with the 9th Division, now disbanded, but active during the Vietnam era.
The town is stretched from old time stores in the middle of the old part, and now the newer commercial spreads out the perimeters.
- Pros:Nice drive through to see the horizon
- Cons:Getting too commmercialized, from what was a sleepy town
- In a nutshell:It is nice to get on the fort and see the old buildings
There are a number-about 10 old homes that are still occupied today and the officers and family live life every day in... more travel advice
He really did not live in this specific home, but a similar one. This home was restored along with many others along the... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Junction City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "brdwtchr's new Junction City Page"
- "The history of fighting on the plains started here"
- "Small town big heart"
- "Skylink's Junction City / Fort Riley Kansas page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Junction City
- Hotels in Junction City
- Transportation in Junction City
- Restaurants in Junction City
- Warnings and Dangers in Junction City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Junction City
- 4 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Junction City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Junction City
- updated a Junction City Travel Page "The history of fighting on the plains started here"
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fort Riley-Sheridan Avenue Old Homes"
- Wrote a Review Fort Riley-Sheridan Avenue Old Homes in Junction City Things to Do
Photos in Junction CitySee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos