"A Well Preserved Town and old fort" Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Scott by BruceDunning
Fort Scott Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 151 photos
The town was a frontier fort and also a post for troops between 1842 and 1853. This short span was due to readjustment of forts on the western frontier for forts staged to fight Indians. The buildings were bought by locals in 1855, and still preserved today.
A large sector of downtown was burned in late 2005 and now most is brought back to renovated state. Some of the buildings have not been re-occupied, making it a bit disappointing to remember how vibrant it used to be.
As time progressed, the town buildings were constructed, mostly after the Civil War, around late 1800's due to the railroad making it a hub. They structures still remaining after the fire of 2005, shows the style and elegance of a time past.
Antiquing and shopping, while sampling a few eats are the vogue thing to do here. There are around 10+ shops of old time goods and some more current. Strolling through the stores is the event for tourism.
- Pros:Nice quiet town with a lot of tradition
- Cons:Limited things to see outside of downtown
- In a nutshell:A nice place to relax for day and see the fort and old town
The town of 9,000 has many historic buildings, and Cottey College. That campus of town year degrees for women has 14... more travel advice
The structures are mostly form the late 1800's, and well preserved. Some have shops, and others are just fronts without... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Fort Scott Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Town Rich In History."
- "A Well Preserved Town and old fort"
- "my home town"
- "jayhawk2000's Fort Scott Page"
- "Fort Scott, Kansas"
- "brdwtchr's new Fort Scott Page"
- "FORT SCOTT, KANSAS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Scott
- Hotels in Fort Scott
- Transportation in Fort Scott
- Nightlife in Fort Scott
- Restaurants in Fort Scott
- Shopping in Fort Scott
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Scott
- 7 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Fort Scott?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Scott
- Commented on one of RoscoeGregg's Fort Scott travel pages
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Nevada, a preserved old town."
- Wrote a Review Nevada, a preserved old town. in Fort Scott Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Fort Scott Travel Page "A Well Preserved Town and old fort"
Photos in Fort ScottSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos