"A time less travelled" Atchison by BruceDunning
Atchison Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 68 photos
It is very nice layout of the beautiful and ornate old homes that were mostly all built in 1870-90's. Wealth in this town was prevalent from supplying the settlers that were heading west. Thousands came through here, and wagon trains were assembled close by to caravan them to destination points.
The town got founded in 1854, and freight business was the main stay for commerce with goods coming from the Missouri River to this point. A railroad also helped in growth and creating the wealth.
The town is very well preserved and little has changed in the last few decades. The Evah Cray House is one nice tour and some others can drive by the see the facade.
Amelia Earhart of the fame to fly across the Atlantic, was born here and that home is on tour
This is a list of other homes that can be viewed, and two have tours available.
- Pros:Quiet slow paced town that has kept it tradition and architecture
- Cons:Not as big as some want to entertain
- In a nutshell:There are a number of turn of century homes to see here
It is not Much of a museum, but what would you expect form such a small town? Displays are interesting on the history of... more travel advice
The Courthouse is only one of 13 designed by George Washburn for region courthouses that is of stone. It was built in... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Atchison Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A time less travelled"
- "Valentine's Day Traveling"
- "Atchison, Kansas - Home of Amelia Earhart"
- "hockalocker's new Atchison Page"
- "Historical Atchison"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Atchison
- Hotels in Atchison
- Transportation in Atchison
- Restaurants in Atchison
- Warnings and Dangers in Atchison
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Atchison
- 10 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Atchison?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Atchison
Photos in AtchisonSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos