"The Best Kept Heritage" Savannah by BruceDunning
Savannah Travel Guide: 911 reviews and 1,800 photos
The US Culture at its best. This is one of a score of squares in the town that are well maintained and fountains abound. One of the largest is in Forsyth Park, and the famed squares are called Monterey and Chippewa Square. The attraction to me is all of these lovely squares and surrounded by Federal style and antebellum homes
He was a builder and featured this home to get business. Constructed in 1820, he died 7 years later. His wife kept up the home until 1840, then over years it became a tenement house and very run down. It stayed as that until mid 1950's , when it was saved from being demolished in 1954 by some local women rasing cash to purchase. It took until 1963 before they had funds to open for public view of a renovated home.
This is one of the mansions in that district
- Pros:An absolute historical back in time for a lot of the city
- Cons:CAn get hot an muggy in summer and then there are bugs
- In a nutshell:This is one of the few cities where preservation is on
This island has the Cloister which is steeped in history, as well as the island. Today. many luxury homes have been... more travel advice
Around the city are many types of sports and activities for tourists/visitors. One main one is golf, and most of that is... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Savannah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sultry, Mysterious Savannah"
- "An Exotic, Steamy Woman Heats Up Georgia!"
- "savannah, georgia"
- "SAVANNAH SCENE"
- "Don't Miss Savannah"
- "The one hundred garden city"
- "Charming Savannah"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Savannah
- Hotels in Savannah
- Transportation in Savannah
- Nightlife in Savannah
- Restaurants in Savannah
- Shopping in Savannah
- Warnings and Dangers in Savannah
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Savannah
- 19 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Savannah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Savannah
Photos in SavannahSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos