"BAck in Old Time Luxury" Top 5 Page for this destination Jekyll Island by BruceDunning

Jekyll Island Travel Guide: 136 reviews and 336 photos

They Know How to Live in Splendor

This was an exclusive island purchased by the wealthy gentry from the north. Families, like the Rockefellers, Goodyear, J.P. Morgan, Pulitzers started a hunting club on this island when they purchased it. There were only 53 core members and some invited associates that stayed in the hotel. Eventually they built what they called cottages to live in instead of the hotel that housed a number of visitors.

The winter Resort homes are FAntastic

The so called cottages were not decorative according to the standards of those wealthy families, but for us, they were still big and ornate. of the 120 homes/bulidings built over a 30 years span, 33 remain today. Some burned, and some torn down

Boats and Commerce

The waterway serves a number of large ships that find their way through the muddy channels to get to destinations. Tugs have to direct and keep the ships in the channel deep areas.

• Pros:Great tour of going back in time to the days of luxury living
  • Cons:After seeing the old homes and hotel, the rest of the island is resort
  • In a nutshell:It is a special place where common people see the money
  • Last visit to Jekyll Island: May 2011
  • Intro Updated Jun 8, 2011

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2013 at 8:29 AM

A unique and historic place that I've never heard of. Nice page!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2012 at 12:35 PM

How the other half lived, indeed! As well as the old houses I like the look of the driftwood on the beach - wonderful for photography! And the rice plantation sounds interesting too.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Hi Bruce time to come check out some of your pages! I see you are doing some awesome travels and awesome amount of travelling! I love seeing old historic buildings and interesting to see your page here thanks!

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2011 at 2:11 PM

I like a lot the "old south", and the name of this place attracted me for a virtual visit! You made this place very interesting, Bruce, I like the old houses there.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2011 at 3:21 AM

Jekyll Island looks like an interesting place to visit! I always enjoy exploring old historic sites like this. Have driven by a few times on way to Florida and never even knew it was there! Thanks for the 'virtual tour'!

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2011 at 4:36 AM

I'd never heard about Jekyll Island before, so thanks for the tour! It looks like a beautiful place to visit, I love historic homes :o)

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Nice page, Bruce! I know I have read at least 1 book & saw a movie with Jekyll Island as the background. There seems enough to keep you busy for a couple of days at least!!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Thanks for a tour of an island I've always wished to visit. Seems quaint, wealthy, and historic. Always a pleasure to read your descriptions.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Bruce, lovely page about Jekyll Island here. I especially like your photos of the Driftwood beach. Also I like the idea of the Turtle Refuge Center.

BruceDunning

“Our ultimate and final trip is to "City" in the clouds”

Badges & Stats in Jekyll Island

Have you been to Jekyll Island?

Latest Activity in Jekyll Island