"Alpine Theme Far from Europe" Top 5 Page for this destination Helen by BruceDunning
Helen Travel Guide: 173 reviews and 388 photos
The area has about 200 shops and 60-70 are right in town, nearly all concentrated in the middle of town. Shopping, eating, and a place to stay are all offered. It is in the center of the NE Georgia hills and just off Hwy 115, Alt 75. Retail consumerism prevailed. Now, well, it is USA tourism and commerce of junk of all kinds. A Shame.
I first came here about 30 years ago, when it was quaint and quite. NOw it is not. After gold mining and timber industries died, the town had to survive, but at what cost?
This is the area where most people congregate and shop, and eat. There used to be a dance hall, but after it burned down a few years ago, the townfolk decided not to rebuild due to the roudy manner and drunkeness it created.
From here there is also a lot of promotion for canoeing, boating, rafting, tubing down the Chattahoochee River. The other sport activities involve mountain biking, hiking, balloon rides, and other leisure activity.
Besides the shopping there are numerous sporting activities-like canoeing, tubing, fishing on the Chattahoochee River. Also hiking, biking and just simple camping are popular.
The town created to alpine concept in 1968 to try and revive the decline after gold mining panned out and timber cutting overdone.
- Pros:A concentrated place to shop, eat, stay, relax
- Cons:In summer, the streets get crowded and roudy
- In a nutshell:The ambiance from 20 years ago is gone-
The hospital puts on a real "life like" show of birthing babies. Every hour you can see one being delivered. It is quite... more travel advice
There are many things to do in north Georgia-called ""Naaath Gajja" by the locals. There is hiking, climbing, shopping... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Helen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alpine Theme Far from Europe"
- "helen, georgia"
- "A town reinvents itself"
- "Willkommen to Helen"
- "Helen Georgia"
- "Georgia Alpine Village"
- "Welcome to Helen, GA or Alpine Helen as some say."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helen
- Hotels in Helen
- Transportation in Helen
- Nightlife in Helen
- Restaurants in Helen
- Shopping in Helen
- Warnings and Dangers in Helen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helen
- 28 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Helen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helen
Photos in HelenSee All Photos (89)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos